Scooter to Wreck of the Naked Lady, Kailua Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Is it possible to scooter to The Wreck of the Naked Lady in Kailua Bay from shore? Is there a buoy on it?

Now that's a good name for a shipwreck / dive site. I'm gonna order some huge batteries and check this out from Maui! Is it what you would call a penetratable wreck? Sounds like it could be kind of fun to explore. I'll be sure to wear a wetsuit.

There's not usually a buoy on the surface....though every once in a while someone has rigged one up. In fact, there's not usually a submerged one either. If you know where it is, you could scooter out on the surface (watch for boat traffic).

My GPS shows the distance between the end of Kailua Pier and the Naked Lady as 0.396 miles (statute)/697 yards.

Most of the time there's a bleach bottle tied to the wreck, usually at around 20-30 FSW.

You could stop at the wreck of the Predator along the way (0.3215 miles/566 yards from the end of the pier, and 0.08 miles/141 yards from the Naked Lady)

As for penetration - bah. I just got back from Truk Lagoon :p

Assuming a single in benchmark config (drysuit & BP/W), with a Sierra set at "max pitch", speed 3 is ~165 fpm, and range (with a standard battery in average condition) would be ~1.5 miles.

Thus I'd expect a 13 minute runtime to the wreck, and if diving as a buddy pair, the distance stays neatly within battery thirds.

If you're using the old reccomendation of "optimum prop pitch" setting, speed 3 is 157 fpm and 1.6 miles range.

As an aside, clicking down to speed 1 yields a speed of 137 fpm and a range of 2 miles. This is a plan that relies on excess gas, which might lead you to wearing doubles; so using what we've found from Benchmark research, the conversion factor from singles to doubles is ~1.25. This would give you, again clicked down to speed one, 125 fpm and a range of 1.86 miles.

Hope this helps.

All the best, James

Assuming a single in benchmark config (drysuit & BP/W), with a Sierra set at "max pitch", speed 3 is ~165 fpm, and range (with a standard battery in average condition) would be ~1.5 miles.

Thus I'd expect a 13 minute runtime to the wreck, and if diving as a buddy pair, the distance stays neatly within battery thirds.

If you're using the old reccomendation of "optimum prop pitch" setting, speed 3 is 157 fpm and 1.6 miles range.

As an aside, clicking down to speed 1 yields a speed of 137 fpm and a range of 2 miles. This is a plan that relies on excess gas, which might lead you to wearing doubles; so using what we've found from Benchmark research, the conversion factor from singles to doubles is ~1.25. This would give you, again clicked down to speed one, 125 fpm and a range of 1.86 miles.

Hope this helps.

All the best, James
Yes James, that helps, assuming I can find the bloody thing!

:D

And you are right - Sierra, drysuit, doubles.

You know Rick that rebreather will trim out a lot better on a scooter (assuming sidemount BO) :eyebrow:

You know Rick that rebreather will trim out a lot better on a scooter (assuming sidemount BO) :eyebrow:
I can't tell you how done I am mentally dealing with doubles and a stage in locations where if you want anything other than a single AL80 with their banked gas, they look at you like you are from Mars! :shakehead:

Yes James, that helps, assuming I can find the bloody thing!

:D

And you are right - Sierra, drysuit, doubles.

Ha ha! I'm sure you navigation will be just fine.

<flipping throgh benchmark data> Assuming drysuit, doubles, Sierra, prop at max pitch, and applying conversion factor of 1.4:

Sierra clicked to speed 3: 145 fpm, range 1.32 miles, time to wreck ~14.5 minutes.

Have fun - this is the kind of diving a scooter was meant for!

All the best, James

I can't tell you how done I am mentally dealing with doubles and a stage in locations where if you want anything other than a single AL80 with their banked gas, they look at you like you are from Mars! :shakehead:

...I feel your pain...

Just to make it worse, we just finished a week on a liveaboard. When we first walked on board, we were greeted with 8 sets of doubles and 8 pre-rigged stages....

Have you tried calling Tim? I'd have thought he could smooth the way for you.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom