Scooter to Wreck of the Naked Lady, Kailua Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you are right - Sierra, drysuit, doubles.

I'm assuming you are bringing the Sierra, are you renting the doubles?

I can't tell you how done I am mentally dealing with doubles and a stage in locations where if you want anything other than a single AL80 with their banked gas, they look at you like you are from Mars! :shakehead:

There are very few dive shops here that get more than a handful of calls per year regarding doubles, but there are a few that can help you out if they feel like it. For 99.9% of the diving done in Hawaii there is little need for more than the 100 cft's with air, 32% or 36% that you can get on any island with proper prior planning. :D

Divers in that other 0.1% should expect being looked at like they are from Mars; isn't that one of the reasons for being a 0.1%er? :rofl3:

I can't tell you how done I am mentally dealing with doubles and a stage in locations where if you want anything other than a single AL80 with their banked gas, they look at you like you are from Mars! :shakehead:

Ah, but Mars is lovely this time of year :D:D:D

I walked into a dive shop here on the big island the other day and "What for?" was the response to "Do you do high pressure fills? <pause> To like 3500?" a more authoritative answer from someone else was "No sorry. It's hard on the valves"

It is looking like there's no where up north to get a HP fill. I may have to buy more cylinders if I have to drive an hour south every time I need a fill. Oh Seattle how I miss you!

Does anyone have a recommendation to get 3500 psi in Kona?

Thanks much,

-Eric

I'm assuming you are bringing the Sierra, are you renting the doubles?

There are very few dive shops here that get more than a handful of calls per year regarding doubles, but there are a few that can help you out if they feel like it. For 99.9% of the diving done in Hawaii there is little need for more than the 100 cft's with air, 32% or 36% that you can get on any island with proper prior planning. :D

Divers in that other 0.1% should expect being looked at like they are from Mars; isn't that one of the reasons for being a 0.1%er? :rofl3:
Yes, I have the doubles and stage in my hand now (got 'em from Scuba Shack). I brought the Sierra, yes, and have several dives so far on it here in Kona. And actually, there is more below the 130' depth around here than people think. Ever seen the second reef at Garden Eel Cove - it's a lava field that starts at about 140' and goes to 200'? Funny, one of the guys on the boat had LOTS of dives there with the sports looking for Mantas and didn't know about that reef. I'm having a blast exploring areas off the normal beat'n path.

Tomorrow, the pipes off the lab...:eyebrow:

I walked into a dive shop here on the big island the other day and "What for?" was the response to "Do you do high pressure fills? <pause> To like 3500?" a more authoritative answer from someone else was "No sorry. It's hard on the valves"

It is looking like there's no where up north to get a HP fill. I may have to buy more cylinders if I have to drive an hour south every time I need a fill. Oh Seattle how I miss you!

Does anyone have a recommendation to get 3500 psi in Kona?

Thanks much,

-Eric

I know that Jack's Diving Locker has some customers who have 3500 tanks. Once cooled down they end up with fills anywhere from 3300-3400, sometimes right at 3500. I would think that Konaquatica could fill them as well. They certainly cater to more tech-related divers (not that 3500s are tech).

[...] And actually, there is more below the 130' depth around here than people think. [...]

Shhh!! :wink:

Seriously, though - there is some pretty cool stuff deeper around here. For really deep stuff
you need to head south (south of the Red Hill area), but there are a few spots in the area
between town and just north of the airport with some pretty good deep diving.

Tomorrow, the pipes off the lab...:eyebrow:

If you're doing the standard Pipe Dreams/Pipeline boat dive, it peters out into a rubble field at about 225 FSW directly below the pipes. I've not been deeper than 100 FSW on the shore entry
there, but from what I could see my guess would be it's about the same.

I know that Jack's Diving Locker has some customers who have 3500 tanks. Once cooled down they end up with fills anywhere from 3300-3400, sometimes right at 3500. I would think that Konaquatica could fill them as well. They certainly cater to more tech-related divers (not that 3500s are tech).

Thanks cuddlefish! I forgot to ask in my first post... will Konaquatica (or whoever) fill 32 while you wait... or in short order? Some shops tend to keep tanks overnight.

Thanks again,

-Eric

Thanks cuddlefish! I forgot to ask in my first post... will Konaquatica (or whoever) fill 32 while you wait... or in short order? Some shops tend to keep tanks overnight.

Thanks again,

-Eric

Hhmm, I don't know the answer to that question in regards to Konaquatica. He has a very small operation...so I don't know that he'd be able to fill immediately. But it would certainly be worth calling or e-mailing him to find out. Hey, if you find out...post it here so the rest of us will know too! As for Jack's, they are usually able to fill immediately...but even they run in to times when they need to hang on to the tanks for a few hours if things are really busy.

Cuddlefish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom