Scooter-ed Into Gill Net

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What the heck is a gill net doing in a lake? Looking for Loch Ness?
This is a BIG lake. In fact, the Navy has a submarine training base here. The net is an attempt to eradicate a non-native species of trout.
If you were on an X it would have never happened :wink:

(Add that to your list) :D

ps... would that be a gear solution to a skill problem?
:rofl3: Right on both, friend.

Just wanted to share some info Peter gave me from the scooter workshop he did with AG . . . Apparently, the construction of the clutch on the Mako scooter is such that stopping it by impeding the prop can damage the clutch assembly. (This is in contrast to the X's, which have an electronic clutch that senses overload on the prop and cuts the power.) You might want to have a look at that part of your scooter and make sure it wasn't damaged in the incident.

If you were on an X it would have never happened :wink:

(Add that to your list) :D

ps... would that be a gear solution to a skill problem?

Tee hee...I didn't want to be the first one to say that. :wink:

Just wanted to share some info Peter gave me from the scooter workshop he did with AG . . . Apparently, the construction of the clutch on the Mako scooter is such that stopping it by impeding the prop can damage the clutch assembly. (This is in contrast to the X's, which have an electronic clutch that senses overload on the prop and cuts the power.) You might want to have a look at that part of your scooter and make sure it wasn't damaged in the incident.

From what I was told, when the soup-up was done, the clutch was replaced with one that doesn't have that issue. But, it's not electronic. So I'll take a gander at it. Thanks!

How about locking (both?) triggers when swimming/stowing the scooter ?
Yeah. That is the right (meaning, not lazy) thing to do.

Thanks for talking about this, Rick, so your internet teammates can learn from it. I'm also relieved to hear you weren't hurt. Isn't it amazing how many things rush through your head in "those" moments?
I haven't yet stuck my hand in my prop to stop my scooter. Intellectually, I know I can do it, but my gut likes my hands the way they are :)
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!! Successful practice of this will calm you immeasurably if/when your scooter sticks "on". I spend tons of time in thick kelp with a scooter. Inadvertant trigger activation happens with the hundreds of kelp stipes all around me, and knowing that I can solve it with two fingers into the prop has turned it into a stress-free issue.

Yes, I lock down the trigger most of the time... but it's impossible to do it all the time considering my diving environment.
The Hand2TheProp-Stop is a safe and useful skill.

~~~~
Claudette

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom