Scooter-ed Into Gill Net

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lower trigger is removed on my Mako. Even if the main trigger fails, you still have the little button deal to turn it on. Many will remove the lower handle but I left mine on. Anyone can then use the scooter by just holding it in their hands, plus my harness wraps around it.

ALL triggers must have the ability to be pinned. I painted the spot where I store my trigger pin white so it is easier to spot in our often poor vis. It really is not hard to do, and if you need pictures or anything else just let me know.

FWIW I have my scooter set up to clip off like a stage. Makes it nice for tooling around looking at stuff, hands free. Trigger is pinned when stowed.

... and if you need pictures or anything else just let me know.

That would be great, for me, and anyone else who might run accross this thread in the future.

I just went out and drilled four holes in my compass plate and swapped the Oceanic compass for an SK7 in a DSS mount. So much for using a free compass...it sucked! It was too hard to see when scootering due to design. The zip ties will remain until I have used it once, to make sure of the positioning, then I will bolt it. Of course I may have to raise the compass mount up yet.

In the first photo you can see how the trigger is pinned. The hole needs to be pretty close to the handle.
attachment.php

Moving the pin is pretty easy underwater (FYI I wear dry gloves), but I found it even easier with the storage hole marked in white paint. You can also see the extra on switch at the left of the picture. The pins might be had at a marine store, but McMaster Carr has them...unfortunately in bulk. The pin itself is probably considered an 1 1/2".
attachment.php

The very large snap bolt is for my harness (It is just wrapped around the front handle for storage), and the smaller one is what I use to clip off to the left chest d-ring. It seems to ride pretty well there, much like a stage, except heavier.
attachment.php

Attachments

• handle from front.jpg
    handle from front.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Pin Storage.jpg
    Pin Storage.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Front cover.jpg
    Front cover.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 188
In the first photo you can see how the trigger is pinned...

Nice pics, Peter, thank you. Yeah, I have the pins, but didn't use them. :shakehead:
Rick.

Sorry for my ignorance...

Why do they put a gill net in a lake??

Sorry everyone .... I am lost as to why???

Great job Rick.
They are trying to eradicate two species of trout that s not native to the lake - lake trout and rainbow trout. Personally, I think it's a shame and I'm rooting for the trout. There is a bounty on them for fisherman, and the nets to attempt to collect them. They keep the net deeper than the bass and spiny rays usually go, and away from spiny ray structure.

We didn't see one fish in the net (if you don't count me).

Hey Rick,

Glad you had no worse issues.

I hate gill nets too.

:wink:

I'm back in the Tri-cities now (sorta, I'm in Russia for the next couple weeks, but will be back by the end of the month). Lets get together some weekend for lunch or something.

I need to learn more about Bull Trout!

Doc

I just went out and drilled four holes in my compass plate and swapped the Oceanic compass for an SK7 in a DSS mount. So much for using a free compass...it sucked! It was too hard to see when scootering due to design. The zip ties will remain until I have used it once, to make sure of the positioning, then I will bolt it. Of course I may have to raise the compass mount up yet.

In the first photo you can see how the trigger is pinned. The hole needs to be pretty close to the handle.
attachment.php

Moving the pin is pretty easy underwater (FYI I wear dry gloves), but I found it even easier with the storage hole marked in white paint. You can also see the extra on switch at the left of the picture. The pins might be had at a marine store, but McMaster Carr has them...unfortunately in bulk. The pin itself is probably considered an 1 1/2".
attachment.php

The very large snap bolt is for my harness (It is just wrapped around the front handle for storage), and the smaller one is what I use to clip off to the left chest d-ring. It seems to ride pretty well there, much like a stage, except heavier.
attachment.php
Hmmm. That trigger pinning looks easy. I wonder why Rick doesn't use his pins? I looks like something that a buddy could get pretty upset over... you know... jeopardizing the team and all. :wink:

Hmmm. That trigger pinning looks easy. I wonder why Rick doesn't use his pins? I looks like something that a buddy could get pretty upset over... you know... jeopardizing the team and all. :wink:

Well Al, thanks for chiming in. Yes, I guess you do have the right to talk, since you did a text-book plow-nose-first-into-the-bottom when you had your tow rope wrap around your trigger Sunday. Hope you didn't scratch the nose of the lovely new X of yours. :D

You got me!

Seriously, Rick did a great job of dealing with the situation in a calm and controlled manner. I was standing by watching the whole thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom