Scituate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys have been a great help on this but i just have another question, how do you retrieve a spear from a spear gun, do you just attach a reel to it, or do you do something else?

ok i just have a question, what gear do i need for scuba diving, because my friend said he had it all and he'd let me use his, but he doesn't have the stuff anymore. So I was just wondering if i could get the harness and back plate, strap the oxygen tank to it, then get the mouthpiece and everything, or is there more than that, if so how much money would it be to get just the necessities? I know it may be a dumb question, but I just don't want to pay for a 400 $ class, and then not be able to pay for the equiptment for another year.
Thanks guys

Do you know how to dive?

Take an Open Water Diver class!

This post should be throwing up all kinds of red flags!

$400 dollars is cheap compared to your funeral expenses and the cost of your body recovery....

Here is a great local shop (n. weymouth) that can answer all your questions.

Welcome to South Shore Divers

Most SB members would not recommend motoring your boat out to 165', donning borrowed or newly acquired (7 mil included) gear, strapping that trusty "oxygen" bottle onto your back, grabbing that speargun and hopping into the water (and by yourself, no buddy in sight). Most would call this suicide or at best extreme stupidity.

How cold does the water get up in that region?

It rarely gets about 60 degrees at the surface North of Cape Cod due to the Labrador Current coming down. Very diverse bottom structure there.

South of Cape Cod is much warmer with the Gulf Stream coming up (70 or so?). I know in Rhode Island, there is a tropical fish collection at the end of the season sponsored by the New England Aquarium Dive Club to save as many as they can before it gets too cold.

I tend to dive North of Cape Cod (Cape Ann area - Gloucester/Salem mostly) and many divers up there are wearing dry suits (including me) though 7mm wet suits are perfectly fine most of the season.

There is some excellent snorkeling on the south side of Manomet Point (S. Plymouth) which is only reached by boat. The Manomet Bird Observatory owns most of that area and no public access from the mainland, there are long stretches of boulder fields meeting sandy bottom and eel grass. There is usually also a bunch of seals who may or might not want to play.

I went snorkeling between 1st and 2nd cliff on saturday and saw tautog and striper, and the water was wicked nice

Back
Top Bottom