Scituate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minot light or minot beach?

I don't know about snorkeling around Minot light myself but from the little that I know and have seen out their I don't think I would snorkel or free dive maybe on scuba.
but from what I remember from being out their there's quite a bit of boat traffic around the light fishing sightseeing etc...but maybe someone has.

I remember a thread a while ago talking about the remains of one of the old lights out there.

Sorry, I re-read your post and realized you have a boat. (And my wife says I don't pay attention...)

I wouldn't consider snorkeling around Minot Light, there's way too much boat traffic. We dove it last summer, I remember being completely surrounded by dogfish on the descent and ascent.

Smith Rocks could be ok for snorkeling - there's plenty of spots that are impassable at low tide, but I've seen some local lobster boats maneuvering through some pretty shallow areas too.

ok i just have a question, what gear do i need for scuba diving, because my friend said he had it all and he'd let me use his, but he doesn't have the stuff anymore. So I was just wondering if i could get the harness and back plate, strap the oxygen tank to it, then get the mouthpiece and everything, or is there more than that, if so how much money would it be to get just the necessities? I know it may be a dumb question, but I just don't want to pay for a 400 $ class, and then not be able to pay for the equiptment for another year.
Thanks guys

what gear do you have to start with?

i have a wet suit, regulator, gauge, and octopus

Since it doesn't get much above 60 degrees North of the Cape (43 degrees at 40 feet last week), you'll want to make sure you have a 7mm wetsuit, gloves, boots, and a hood (or go with a dry suit). You'll also need a BC, fins, mask, weight belt (unless you have a weight integrated BC), weights, a light. You can also rent gear or buy used (though bring someone who knows gear so you don't end up with junk).

Also, some shops have good sales. I called around to about 10 shops before finally purchasing gear (and by all accounts I did very well). I know Undersea Divers www.underseadivers.com in Beverly has a big sale twice a year (the next one will be in the fall) where they sell new gear at very discounted prices and they sell some of their rental inventory too.

The good news is, once you buy it, it will last for a while. I have some gear with over 200 dives on it. Some other gear I've either replaced due to wear over a few years or I outgrew it.

A few places to look for used gear:

www.craigslist.com
www.thewantad.com

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom