Scientific drilling and climate change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the intended point here was the irony of "scientists" studying climate change while obviously not giving a cr_p about their personal impact on the coral - but I can`t say this surprises me as there is much hypocrisy and "do as I say, not as I do" mentality when it comes to this topic...
I don't know that your assessment hits the mark. While true that this particular instance the collection team seems to be ignoring good collection decorum, I've found that data collectors (who tend to be young, poor, and idealistic) are really quite environmentally aware, and much easier on the environment than say old curmudgeons like me. They don't insist on bottled water like the old folks do, they bring their own bottles and fill them. They don't run out and buy new dive gear, they recycle old junk and make it work for them. They don't tend to be as consumer oriented as us boomers are.

But that's anecdotal.

I don't know that your assessment hits the mark. While true that this particular instance the collection team seems to be ignoring good collection decorum, I've found that data collectors (who tend to be young, poor, and idealistic) are really quite environmentally aware, and much easier on the environment than say old curmudgeons like me. They don't insist on bottled water like the old folks do, they bring their own bottles and fill them. They don't run out and buy new dive gear, they recycle old junk and make it work for them. They don't tend to be as consumer oriented as us boomers are.

But that's anecdotal.
I was referring to what was pictured here - not meant as a general assessment or judgement on all. Was that not what you were commenting on as well?

I think the intended point in Wookie's post was the irony of "scientists" studying climate change while obviously not giving a cr_p about their personal impact on the coral - but I can`t say this surprises me as there is much hypocrisy and "do as I say, not as I do" mentality when it comes to this topic...

Can you provide some evidence of this? I'd be really interested in having you cite some direct evidence where you know the researchers have blatantly impacted (negatively) the environment, but then published a paper that promotes an increased understanding and/or conservation of natural resources.

I was referring to what was pictured here - not meant as a general assessment or judgement on all. Was that not what you were commenting on as well?
Yes. Sorry, I thought you were digging on climate change scientists. I find most young folks walk the walk and talk the talk.

Can you provide some evidence of this? I'd be really interested in having you cite some direct evidence where you know the researchers have blatantly impacted (negatively) the environment, but then published a paper that promotes an increased understanding and/or conservation of natural resources.
Again, I was commenting on what was pictured here - clear disregard for the coral they were sampling!

Yes. Sorry, I thought you were digging on climate change scientists. I find most young folks walk the walk and talk the talk.
I personally find mixed words versus action on young folks.

@Joneill, you said there is "much hypocrisy." This implies that the practice is common. Please provide evidence to back your claims.

@Joneill, you said there is "much hypocrisy." This implies that the practice is common. Please provide evidence to back your claims.
I meant that there is much hypocrisy in the topic of climate change, but I have no desire to waste any more of my time to post "evidence" here...

but I have no desire to waste any more of my time to post "evidence" here...

Thank you for confirming my point. I find it interesting that everyone has an opinion of how science is conducted, but can't cite actual evidence to back up claims of where it fails.

Thank you for confirming my point. I find it interesting that everyone has an opinion of how science is conducted, but can't cite actual evidence to back up claims of where it fails.

Science doesn't fail, but fallible humans conducting science fail all the time.

As far as this example, poor technique gathering samples doesn't necessarily mean poor science, however I don't think seeing sloppy data collection can be completely ignored. In a perfect world science should be conducted in a very meticulous manner to boost confidence.

The pics definitely show some poor technique but IMO this shouldn't cause any heartburn over the general confidence in climate science.... there are other actual issues not worth dragging into this thread that are much more egregious.

Back
Top Bottom