Schooling Sailfish near Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubbles3d

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the October 2007 Sport Diver magazine there is an article about schooling Sailfish near Isla Mujeres. They come every January and February to eat the sardine bait balls, apparently it is quite a sight to see! Has anyone experienced this before? If so, can you refer us to a dive operator that is experienced in this type of excursion? I know there is a live aboard for 9 days for $7,000 but we were not planning on spending that much since we just got back from Holbox Island/whale shark snorkeling and diving the Cenotes in Tulum. Any assistance would be greatful. As always thanks so much!

This is new to me....maybe I should actually read the articles! :D

Check with Ben at Mayan Aqua Dive, benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk. He is always running trips to Machones Reef that is just on the border of Garrofon Marine Reserve. He should be able to provide information on this action. He also has some great package deals.

I will definitely look into this. It would be noce to offer this type of Exploration Dive with my guests. I have seen sailfish cruising the wall, but only in pairs....never schooling. But I know they do, and I want to see them! Did the diving mag list any diving providers that could take you out from Isla Mujerres to see the bait ball and sailfish?

I finally read the article. It was more about the schooling phenom and the scientists than about diving it. I don't recall that there was any mention of particular providers from the local area. The season appears very short, approx. six weeks, according to the article. Also, divers are competing with sport fishermen at the same time. Might get a big hairy.

There is an organized excursion being run from Big Animals World Class Photography Expeditions. Although you might find a local fishing boat to take you out, as well.

So far I only know 1 operator and it is a live-aboard for the $7,000 I noted in my original e-mail, I think it is for 10 days. They referenced website Big Animals World Class Photography Expeditions. I e-mailed that site wanting to know the best time to catch the fish in action and Amos Nachoum responded to me advising that it was very unpredictable but the weeks leading to full moon and after it in January and February seem to be the best time. Hope that helps.

I would like to see a picture of the liveaboard you stay on and didnt see one on that website.
I wish I had customers that would pay $6900 for a week...where do these people live!?
I am shocked at the price of this...you can go to the Galapagos cheaper than that and see more than a sailfish! So does anybody know what accommodates are and what makes it worth $6900!
I would really be interested in hearding if anyone has done one of these trips and if they were worth that amount of $$$

After a better look at that website, this is not a liveaboard! They are staying at a hotel on little Isla. I am just shocked people pay that much to see a sailfish. I love diving like everyone else on this site but I sure dont believe in hosing customers of their hard earned dive dollars. I would love to know if our rich JOE diver thinks this is worth it after doing this trip. It would be great to know. I could do alot of diving for $6900 plus air and tips!

For $3500 I can put you on a luxury liveaboard in the Galapagos for a week and include all your diving and tours!
Now that seems like a bargin.

I love diving like everyone else on this site but I sure dont believe in hosing customers of their hard earned dive dollars. .

I'm pretty sure no one makes anyone join this or any other trip :wink: Those that think the trip suits their needs will go; those it doesn't fit for whatever reason, won't. If the operator sets a price too high or a trip that doesn't suit the intended market, changes will soon be seen.

What might seem like a great deal/experience to one may seem ludicrous to another. Each to his/her own.

Heck, for 6900 USD I'll sell you my Mexican live-aboard! Its a 26 ft panga with a hammock and a mosquito net. :D

I agree, that is too much to spend and he does not guarantee a sighting! I have e-mailed dive operators on the Island and no one has responded. This does not make me feel warm and fuzzy... I guess we need to start researching another dive adventure trip. Thanks for eveyone's feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom