School a newbie on wetsuits please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure you'll be happy with it. The quality of the Thermaxx is excellent. I've worn mine thru 5 dive seasons and it's still going strong.

Ah okay I just found a hanger on Amazon and I already had some stuff to order so I just snagged it.
When it is dry you can just roll it or fold it (look on the Internet about how to to fold a wetsuit, i.e. you need to minimise the creases)

If you don’t use it for a long period of time, for example in winter, you can just put it in a bag to protect it once it is dry.

Another quick newbie question. I'm going to be traveling with my wetsuit for the first time on Thursday.

What is the best way to travel with a wetsuit? Is it best to roll it up or to fold it up? I've done some research and basically had mixed results. It'll be in my luggage probably for like 18 hours or so total as I plan on packing tomorrow night and won't arrive in Grand Cayman until around 1pm.

I guess a lot of that depends on your suitcase and other items, but I typically roll my suit, with the front side up (zipper in back), from the feet up to the neck, then fold the arms over the now rolled body. I try to place at the top end (when standing) of my hard shell suitcase, because it's fairly lightweight and doesn't have the weight of everything else pressing down on it.

Really though, however you manage to get your wetsuit packed, it's a good idea to remove it as soon as possible once you've arrived at your destination. That will allow it to regain its shape (compressed neoprene and creases).

If you've planned for a fairly tight travel schedule, a large trash bag can be handy to repack the wetsuit if it still has any moisture in it (typically at the sleeve and leg openings).

Good luck!

It depends on how much diving I do after my OW cert dives. But worst case scenario (as in I do all the dives of AOW after OW) , I will have like about 24 hours before I have to pack up and leave for the airport. Should a wetsuit dry off in 24 hours?

Sometimes still a little damp. If it has some kind of microfleece lining, hang it inside out at first. Wring out the extremities after it has hung for a bit.

Think about where it is hung - is there a breeze to help? Better inside with AC on, since AC is a dehumidifier?

Manufacturers recommend against drying in the sun, but that is your choice. I will leave it out for a bit, but not forever.

Yeah, how quickly your wetsuit will dry depends on conditions, thickness, material, and even how new/old the suit is. Here in the Philippines it takes my suit 2 days to be completely dry for storage. It does help if you start drying inside out, then flip it for a while, and maybe even inside out again. (For the 2 days it take my 3mm to dry here, I flip it every 12 hrs.)

You can accelerate drying by putting it between 2 beach towels and rolling it up to soak up moisture. Turn inside out and repeat.

I will put mine in the sun for awhile, it helps a lot. I don't worry about it, it's happening once at the end of a trip a few times a year. At some point being inside in A/C will trump being in the sun or even just outside in a breeze, if you are in a humid place. And airflow is always helpful. We'll have the AC cranked and any ceiling fan on in the room to help with drying of all the gear.

If you have booties, get some newspaper or paper towel to stuff in them.

The green garbage bag (not that it needs to be green) is always a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom