School a newbie on wetsuits please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t recommend getting a wetsuit that has gaps, especially at the neck. That will reduce warmth. If a wetsuit feels snug to the point of “uncomfortable on land”, it will loosen to the point of “snug and comfortable” in the water. But if it’s “I can’t breathe and I’m turning red” then that’s too tight.

Different models with different materials will stretch more or less, so even if the cut was identical, one may conform better to your body shape than the other. But sometimes the cut isn’t identical even within the same brand.

You tried the ML and XL of the Thermoprene (older model)? It sounds like the L would be right for you. I suppose he didn’t have an L in stock, that’s why you didn’t try it?

I’d suggest going back with more time and try the Thermoprene Pro (newer model) so you can see how the difference in material will fit your body. I’m willing to bet it will be stretchier, more comfortable and conform better.

You might also want to try on other brands as well, to see how they compare. For me, there’s no comparison. Henderson’s Thermaxx just fits me like a glove whereas the others I’ve tried had gaps here or there.

Yes, take your time trying on wetsuits or you’ll hurt yourself or have a heart attack!
I tried on the L (first) of the Thermoprene Pro and the XL (second) of the Thermoprene (older model). He did not have an XL of the Pro or an L of the older model. I didn't end up trying on the ML because there is no way I would be comfortable in anything smaller than L.

The L I tried on was tight to the point that it felt noticeably more uncomfortable to breathe in while just standing there. Like it was that snug that I felt it was a bit tougher to breathe. Not that I couldn't breathe, but I just felt like something was compressing on my chest area to the point I noticed breathing felt slightly difficult.

The XL had a small gap on the side of the velcro, but then I adjusted a bit and it was gone, but then I adjusted again and it was back, so I think that is why the guy was saying how he thinks that I could fix it pretty easily with just adjusting the suit a little bit. This was the first time I had ever put on a full suit wetsuit and it was more difficult than I would have ever expected, so I think as I get used to it that I would be able to put it on easier and more "properly".

And the XL felt snug/tight all over my body, but not the point that I felt constricted while breathing.

Here are my measurements:

Chest - 44.5"
Waste - 24"
Weight - 208lbs
Height - 5'11.5

As for the sizing, the XL I do fit 3/4 categories, the L I fit 2/4, and the ML I actually only fit 1/4. I had thought I fit the height on it but I'm 5'11.5 so I don't fit the height for that either. But the weight is way less. I currently weigh like 208 or so and I typically fluctuate between 198 - 210 depending if I'm trying to lean up or bulk up. I realize the size charts are just guidelines too.

I tried on the L (first) of the Thermoprene Pro and the XL (second) of the Thermoprene (older model). He did not have an XL of the Pro or an L of the older model. I didn't end up trying on the ML because there is no way I would be comfortable in anything smaller than L.

The L I tried on was tight to the point that it felt noticeably more uncomfortable to breathe in while just standing there. Like it was that snug that I felt it was a bit tougher to breathe. Not that I couldn't breathe, but I just felt like something was compressing on my chest area to the point I noticed breathing felt slightly difficult.

The XL had a small gap on the side of the velcro, but then I adjusted a bit and it was gone, but then I adjusted again and it was back, so I think that is why the guy was saying how he thinks that I could fix it pretty easily with just adjusting the suit a little bit. This was the first time I had ever put on a full suit wetsuit and it was more difficult than I would have ever expected, so I think as I get used to it that I would be able to put it on easier and more "properly".

And the XL felt snug/tight all over my body, but not the point that I felt constricted while breathing.

Here are my measurements:

Chest - 44.5"
Waste - 24"
Weight - 208lbs
Height - 5'11.5

As for the sizing, the XL I do fit 3/4 categories, the L I fit 2/4, and the ML I actually only fit 1/4. I had thought I fit the height on it but I'm 5'11.5 so I don't fit the height for that either. But the weight is way less. I currently weigh like 208 or so and I typically fluctuate between 198 - 210 depending if I'm trying to lean up or bulk up. I realize the size charts are just guidelines too.

I see, I see.

That’s a tough choice. Next time you’re in the shop, concentrate on the gap in the neck, to see if you can gauge if it will open up as you’re diving, like moving your neck left and right. You don’t want water entering while you’re diving as it will cool you, which means the suit will not be as warm as it’s supposed to be.

At the end of the day, you’re just going to have to go with your gut feeling as to what’s most comfortable for you.

Have you considered trying the Henderson Thermaxx for comparison?

I’m picky about sizing and can feel your frustration. I want it to fit “just right”. And wetsuits are tough.

I see, I see.

That’s a tough choice. Next time you’re in the shop, concentrate on the gap in the neck, to see if you can gauge if it will open up as you’re diving, like moving your neck left and right. You don’t want water entering while you’re diving as it will cool you, which means the suit will not be as warm as it’s supposed to be.

At the end of the day, you’re just going to have to go with your gut feeling as to what’s most comfortable for you.

Have you considered trying the Henderson Thermaxx for comparison?

I’m picky about sizing and can feel your frustration. I want it to fit “just right”. And wetsuits are tough.
They had those there as well but not in my size. I am pretty sure they were Thermaxx based off of what they look like when googling. I also saw what looked almost like leopard print liner on the inside which I'm guessing is the fire fleece. Is the only benefit of that liner that it makes getting it on/off easier?

I also was planning on wearing a rash guard underneath my wet suit too since I heard that makes it easier to get them on/off too. Is there truth to that?

I talked to my one buddy who surfs and knows a thing or two about wetsuits too and he thinks that just based on my chest size he would recommend an XL for me.

They had those there as well but not in my size. I am pretty sure they were Thermaxx based off of what they look like when googling. I also saw what looked almost like leopard print liner on the inside which I'm guessing is the fire fleece. Is the only benefit of that liner that it makes getting it on/off easier?

I also was planning on wearing a rash guard underneath my wet suit too since I heard that makes it easier to get them on/off too. Is there truth to that?

I talked to my one buddy who surfs and knows a thing or two about wetsuits too and he thinks that just based on my chest size he would recommend an XL for me.

The inside of the Thermaxx should be a heather grey fabric material. It does make donning and doffing easier, enough so that I can’t go back to my Bare older model. They also say the material makes it warmer but I can’t say for sure if that’s true. They call the material Fire Fleece.

I have no experience wearing a rash guard underneath, although I sometimes wear a 5/3mm hooded vest underneath.

I did find another somewhat local shop that says they carry Thermaxx so I might try to swing by at some point and check it out. I really don't have too many options around here. I am curious to see if Leisure Pro has a larger sale on the wetsuits come Black Friday. Right now those Henderson ones are 20% off. I can't even find Thermaxx ones online anywhere so I don't really know what kind of price to look for with those.

Yeah I just called that place and they do carry the Thermaxx and they say they usually have all sizes of 5mm in stock and some 3mm but they can order 3mm too. So I think I'm going to try to get there at some point and try them on and they were $249 so that is only like $30 more than the Pro line.

I have also found that the Thermaxx is only sold in brick and mortar stores. Apparently, Henderson does not allow their sale on-line for some reason.

i
as for dive computers, i bought my wife the mares puck pro for $140 and it works as well as my other $300+ computer.

Computer wise... Second vote for the Puck Pro. Purchased one for my first computer. Simple to use, Nitrox compatible, and you can get new for $140 (like @Bowers pointed out), or used for around $100. And that price point will likely hold for a long time, so when you get ready to move up to a higher end computer, just resell the Puck Pro without losing much, or anything...

So I went to the store today to try on the Thermaxx. They carried most sizes in 5mm but not many in 3mm and actually only had an L in 3mm. So she gave me an XL in 5mm to try on and an L in 3mm to try on.

I tried on the XL and it felt great. I asked her opinion on it and she thought it fit pretty much perfect as long as I could move around. I stretched and touched my toes and just moved around a bit and it was fine. She also mentioned that the 3mm would be slightly looser since it didn't have as much material.

So I changed out of it and go to give her the other one to put back, only to realize that I tried on the L and not the XL. I had to make sure that I tried on the L because I could have sworn I tried on the XL. However on the wetsuit I tried on I ripped the tag off of the strap while trying to get it up myself, and yup, the L was the one with the tag missing.

After being baffled by this I decided to try on the XL just for comparisons sake. And holy hell the 5mm was so much hotter too. When I had it on I noticed that I had a couple wrinkles around my ankles, and I noticed quite a few in my belly area. If I bent over and moved around I noticed it quite a bit. Being that it was the 5mm she said that means the 3mm would be a little looser too. In her opinion she thought the L was a better fit and I did myself.

So luckily the one size she had was the one I needed so I could just walk out with it today.

With the fire fleece it was NOTICEABLY easier to put this wetsuit on over the previous ones I had tried on. So I said for like $30 more it would be worth it.

I also found it interesting that the same brand can fit that differently. The Thermoprene Pro that I tried on in L was noticeably tighter than the one I tried on today. And the XL I tried today had noticeably more wrinkles in it than the one I tried on yesterday, because yesterday I didn't even notice any. I just assumed that XL would be the way to go for me but nope.

Thanks for all the help on here because it led me in the direction that I feel I'll be happy with.

One last question - are there any special hangers to hang these on? Is it recommended to keep them hung up when not in use? I just know that some of my dress shirts, the shoulders get noticeably 'stretched out' if I keep them hanging up for a while, and I don't want that to happen to this.

ycwcZlV.jpg

So I went to the store today to try on the Thermaxx. They carried most sizes in 5mm but not many in 3mm and actually only had an L in 3mm. So she gave me an XL in 5mm to try on and an L in 3mm to try on.

I tried on the XL and it felt great. I asked her opinion on it and she thought it fit pretty much perfect as long as I could move around. I stretched and touched my toes and just moved around a bit and it was fine. She also mentioned that the 3mm would be slightly looser since it didn't have as much material.

So I changed out of it and go to give her the other one to put back, only to realize that I tried on the L and not the XL. I had to make sure that I tried on the L because I could have sworn I tried on the XL. However on the wetsuit I tried on I ripped the tag off of the strap while trying to get it up myself, and yup, the L was the one with the tag missing.

After being baffled by this I decided to try on the XL just for comparisons sake. And holy hell the 5mm was so much hotter too. When I had it on I noticed that I had a couple wrinkles around my ankles, and I noticed quite a few in my belly area. If I bent over and moved around I noticed it quite a bit. Being that it was the 5mm she said that means the 3mm would be a little looser too. In her opinion she thought the L was a better fit and I did myself.

So luckily the one size she had was the one I needed so I could just walk out with it today.

With the fire fleece it was NOTICEABLY easier to put this wetsuit on over the previous ones I had tried on. So I said for like $30 more it would be worth it.

I also found it interesting that the same brand can fit that differently. The Thermoprene Pro that I tried on in L was noticeably tighter than the one I tried on today. And the XL I tried today had noticeably more wrinkles in it than the one I tried on yesterday, because yesterday I didn't even notice any. I just assumed that XL would be the way to go for me but nope.

Thanks for all the help on here because it led me in the direction that I feel I'll be happy with.

One last question - are there any special hangers to hang these on? Is it recommended to keep them hung up when not in use? I just know that some of my dress shirts, the shoulders get noticeably 'stretched out' if I keep them hanging up for a while, and I don't want that to happen to this.

View attachment 489590

I’m glad the Thermaxx worked for you. It is my favourite suit and my husband’s too. Material is so important.

They sell wetsuit hangers if you want to hang them up.

Back
Top Bottom