schistosomiasis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcbowl

New
Reaction score
Our family is traveling to Malawi and Zambia,Africa in June.

We are planning a trip to Lake Malawi. I understand this is one of the foremost fresh water diving sites anywhere. But I have also read that schistosomiais (similiar to blood flukes, intestinal worms, lung worms, etc.) is common in fresh water in this area.

Is there a way to prevent? Is it easy enough to be cured that we should not worry about diving?

So, do we go ahead and dive and test later if we have contracted, been infested, or whatever it would be called. My doctor said there is some single treatment pill if I do get it, but that it is only 85% effective on first try.

I want to dive here, but do not wish to endanger my long term health.

thanks docs. mcbowl.

Interesting question! BillP has given us the tools and now it's up to us to figure the odds. From his references, there is a 15% chance of schistosomiasis if you dive while taking the prophylactic medication.

If you do get the infestation, there is medication that works well in nearly 100% of the cases with very little in the way of side effects. In addition, there are good tests for early diagnosis.

Divers take risks just from getting our heads wet - the added risk here would be minimal but would be entirely up to you to decide. Personally? I'd not miss this chance for anything!

Answers are for information only, do not imply diagnosis or treatment and should always be used in conjunction with the advice of you personal physician.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom