Scheduled Maintenance - Server Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, what's the history of server upgrades for the board? Is user demand causing increased upgrade frequency?

Originally ScubaBoard was hosted on a shared solution run by dreamhost.com. After DreamHost we moved to our first colocated server where we stayed for a little over two years before NetDoc took ownership of ScubaBoard. Under NetDoc we moved to our previous server and then last night we moved to this one. Since NetDoc's ownership we have also expanded sideways adding extra servers for other portions of the site like the club websites, general hosting and ScubaBoard email which is pretty intensive on its own. Our next upgrade will be to split to multiple machines to handle the database and the webserver, that may occur soon if we feel it would be benefical to the community.

Things seem to be moving along much faster & smoother, now.

Danke shoen! :D

You know,

from almost folding a year ago to adding one (and hopefully a second soon) Dual Xeon server this year, I think going "commercial" has been good for us.

NetDoc:
You know,

from almost folding a year ago to adding one (and hopefully a second soon) Dual Xeon server this year, I think going "commercial" has been good for us.
You and your crew are doing a fine job! :thumb:

800,000 Posts with nearly 34,000 Registered members to date, and I notice tonight that Guests again outnumber Members online by 2 to 1. Are we study material now? :crafty:

:cowboy:

Hey Tech Admin,

Pms do not seem to be working....FYI...

Happy Day!

Heh, funny that you picked this post! The problem should be fixed now.

Tech Admin:
Heh, funny that you picked this post! The problem should be fixed now.

Why is it funny? It just seemd likely I wouldn't hijack anyone else's thread...

And, nope, still not fixed... Still Luv Ya! :07:

so what type of server does Scubaboard run on? RISC/MIPS/Sparc or Intel hardware? Unix/Linux/Sunos,etc?

just curious.

BTW.... I think the board run's pretty fast, especially for all the posts that happen and everything else. my hats off to you guys.

Any statistics?
Like average total posts per day or bandwidth used?

thanks for all the support you give this site?

-mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom