Scary message written after reg. service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the Fungal lung thing in Panama Bad JU-JU and took 5 weeks to completly clear. Bad looking chest xrays all of a sudden wheezing and didn't have the energy to to do anything. NIGER and some other mold think it was from running in AM Through Jungle although did get regs overhauled.

So... what would remove mold and/or fungus from a reg and/or hose if there was fungus or mold growing in them?

I'm not saying I have a crusty reg... but I do live in Florida, where mold thrives.

What would remove this growth from your equipment? Anyone?

I had to replace some hoses but if they are OK regs can be cleaned

ddown:
I had the Fungal lung thing in Panama Bad JU-JU and took 5 weeks to completly clear. Bad looking chest xrays all of a sudden wheezing and didn't have the energy to to do anything. NIGER and some other mold think it was from running in AM Through Jungle although did get regs overhauled.

Nasty stuff - Was surprised when someone in Michigan got the same fungus. Glad you survived it. Three of the four in Panama that got it when I was there died. Nice that it is rare, until you are one of few that get it.

I have small test paddles that will show both bacteria and molds (one side for bacteria and one for mold). You open the container - touch each side to an object and wait a couple of days to see what was living - scary, really scary.

Regarding what you can use to kill them - I see several items that are easy to get from most dive shops (I would think Larry at Scubatoys would have one or more of them.

Trident makes one- don't know about others.

Household bleach (without any scent) at 5ml/liter works well, but can attack some materials. It takes about 3 mins to be completely effective, which should be harmless at that concentration and time -just don't soak over night.

I use a commercial product that is synthetic poison dart frog poison. It is biodegradable, will kill anything (for a day or two) and nothing has been able to develop a resistance to it. Just don't use anything exposed to the stuff for a couple of days. Will see if there is a trade name and a size one would like (I take mine from a 30 gallon drum - not something would want around the house)

I hope everyone knows this is a second stage concern only. Dry/cold/clean air would make it very difficult for anything to live up to that point. If your hose has a problem, there are more issues than just this.

Bacteria can live and grow in surprizing environments - I use a lot of RO water (under 4 ppm) in one of the processes I work with and every so often, we get bacteria growing in it. What they could possibly be living on is not obvious. Living in Panama, they have a molds that eats glass, one that eats aluminum and several that like to dine on people.

I forgot to include any product with iodophor in it - has the advantage of not requiring rinsing and has no taste (FDA approved also). Before putting a reg up, one can just rinse with a diluted solution and put away.

Sydney_Diver:
I say it time and time again

Always rinse your regs connected to the cylinder and the air on!! I just pick my whole kit up and dunk it in fresh water for a minute or 2, then purge any water from the second stages, before taking the regs off the cylinder.

Rinsing this way will save your regs as it means you will never get water in the hoses, First or Second stage.

Rinsing or soaking Regs without pressure in the lines is a great way to well shorten the life of your regs.

Cheers
Chris

Absolutely dead on target.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom