Scared the s..t out of me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your bc dump valve should be able to dump and keep up with the inflator untill you disconnect the hose. But be sure to lay back and flair out, this will slow your ascent more than you think.
Kenny

Has anyone tried to invert and kick down towards the bottom? I read about that somewhere else. When you are on a runaway to the surface, you should invert like you are swimming to the bottom. This should help buy some time until you can get things under contol or at least slow your ascent enough to safely reach the surface.

dd

Has anyone tried to invert and kick down towards the bottom? I read about that somewhere else. When you are on a runaway to the surface, you should invert like you are swimming to the bottom. This should help buy some time until you can get things under contol or at least slow your ascent enough to safely reach the surface.

dd
Having seen for myself how fast a "freeflowing inlator" goes from "***" to "oh sh**!" I'm not sure how effective that would actually be?
That hose need to come off real fast or else you dont have only the air you fill into the BC to worry about, but also the expanding air as you start rising faster and faster towards the surface..

Just "thinking out loud"...

dd
The thread was about runaway descent, but you're asking about runaway ascent, right? I wouldn't try it. Deal with the hose. You'd be wasting time trying to multitask something you haven't drilled on, good way to screw up I think, maybe even encourage a panic.

I bounced onto the top like a cork by mistake once. Most important thing then is be exhaling rapidly enough to not get into lung expansion problems, everything else you can probly deal with even after the unplanned surfacing. I had plent of air and was in otherwise okay control so I went back down to 20 ft for twice as long as planned, or until air was low, don't remember exactly how it played out back then. Or if you don't trust the BC, not confident on going back for safety stop, then get on the boat and report your emergency. That's why dive charters carry O2 and radios, and you carry DAN insurance.

My opinion anyway, whatever it may be worth...

A stuck on inflator is something that worries me,could be really nasty after a long deep dive.

I played around simulating this failure at our local lake. What I found worked for me was to go slightly head up (maybe 45 degrees) and hit the deflate button.This should stop the ascent and give time to disconnect the inflator.
Going head up makes sure the air is at the top of the BC/Wing and so will vent easily. I dive Halcyon wings and the inflator flow rate is slower than the dump rate. This is a great safety feature,dont know if all BCs will be the same??
Pulling off a pressurised inflator hose is not the easiest thing to do,especially with cold hands or gloves. I am not normally one for gadgets but I do like these https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=45 much easier to remove the inflator if there is something to grab hold of.

I normally dive doubles so if I could not get the hose off I could shut the right post instead.

Thank you! I was just wondering about that very thing. I dive mostly in cold water, wearing thick neoprene gloves. My fingers get very numb and stiff and at the end of the dive I have trouble disconnecting the hose when I disassemble my gear. (So sue me, I'm a girl) I worry when I read things like this that I wouldn't be able to disconnect in time if a problem came up. I'm going to order some of those caps for me, my husband and my son.

I dive Halcyon wings and the inflator flow rate is slower than the dump rate. This is a great safety feature,dont know if all BCs will be the same??

I was reading the latest issue of Scuba Diving magazine where they review a bunch of BCDs and they actually included that data as part of their review. I thought that was fantastic.

I agree with the head up/deflate approach. I've been TAUGHT the head down, dump from the rear valve strategy. The rear dump exhausts fast, and you can kick down while you're dumping, but you've then tied up one hand and the other really can't disconnect the inflator hose by itself. If you're diving doubles, you CAN shut your right post while kicking down and dumping from the rear dump on the wing, but if you're in a single tank, you're immobilized and helpless until somebody else moves in to solve the problem. On the other hand, if you dump out of the inflator, you're holding the setup steady for the other hand to come in and pull off the hose. Agreed that that is easier said than done, which is why I have DSS "hats" on my inflator hoses.

I dove an Atomic SS1 integrated for years (now, I do both the SS1, and a standard octo, depending on the rig). Never personally had a problem with sticking of either the SS1, or the standard inflator, however, I was wondering if anyone (or anyone you know) has ever had a stuck inflator issue with an integrated octo?

I've seen issues with standard inflators... never with an integrated. Wondering if the integrated octos do a better job of sealing out debris, since they are designed as multi-purpose, with higher precision.

I figure this is close enough to on-topic, as to not qualify as a hijack :wink:

I a full tank here that needs to be drained for viz anyway. I think I'll strap it on and run the dump in inflate at the same time. Good idea try it dry now, then wet next weekend...

The thread was about runaway descent, but you're asking about runaway ascent, right? I wouldn't try it. Deal with the hose. You'd be wasting time trying to multitask something you haven't drilled on, good way to screw up I think, maybe even encourage a panic.

Well heres my experience with this one. Had to pull my dive log, couldnt rememeber all the particulars.
Dive #42 1st dive of the day, 55 degrees, 87 feet, 6 minutes, macro-photo buddy
We had just descended and were working our way to approx. 120'. I touch the inflator button to trim a bit, it continued...I pressed it again it trying to un-stick it...it was stuck all the way. Quickly wrapped my legs around a rock. Knowing things were going to get a bit hairy. First reaction was to pull the button out with my teeth...no go. The 44# bladder filled very quickly. I started to panic...looking for a bit of help, unfortunately my buddy was down over a rock ledge shooting. I quickly dump all my air out my suit. Did a slight bounce upward and grabbed a large rock with one hand. Held on tight. I can still remember hearing both lower dump valves growling as they relieved themselves. I am pretty sure the energy I was expending trying to hold on wasnt helping my reaction to the problem. I finally couldn't hold on I was at approximately 60'. I was surfacing and wasnt able to do much about it at the time. I was thinking "breath deeply and you might just get out this without blowing something!! I surfaced and signaled the boat. I laid back, filled my suit, and listened to the dump valves continue to growl. I got back on the boat, check myself over and was happy that I had come out of the incident unharmed, Thankfully I hadnt been down long.
I sat and accessed what "I did and didnt do". I didnt need anyone to tell me what I was supposed to do. I repeatedly kicked my own butt. It came to me easy on the surface with fresh air blowing in my face.
Come to find out my inflator had a few bits of sand in it and the button had jammed. After discussing what happened with a few dive friends I realized I wasnt the only new diver who had reacted this way to this problem.
I now drill myself on different "things" that can happen and my reactions to them. This has made me a better diver, and therefore a better buddy.
Now if a new diver asks me for any advice...I tell them about the incident, and ask them what I should have done?...If they answer "unhook your inflator hose" I say good call...remember it. I know I wont forget again.
Hopefully my experience can help someone...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom