scared now!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
ummmm....I don't think there has ever been a Tiger shark - scuba related death.
A flim team filmed the tiger sharks feasting on a dead whale and they were within 10 feet of the sharks, with out a cage. Nothing happened. No need to be scared.
Ya well, I have a Tiger shark story from Maui. As cool as it was, scared was one of the prime feelings!

Johnston Island?

"its a good one but better in person"

I lived and dove in Hawaii for 9 years during the 90's. During that time I do not recall hearing of a diver getting attacked by a tiger shark. When the young man got bit while boogie boarding north of Makaha the Advertiser printed out a list of shark attacks in Hawaii for the past 60 years. That list only had (if I remember correctly) one sport diver listed as suspected of being killed by a tiger shark. Suspected because they never found the diver. Other divers listed as attacked had probable cause listed as the fish they had speared being tied to their waist. The rest of the list were people on the surface.

In all the time I spent diving in Hawaii (granted only about 175 dives) I only saw 9 sharks, all white tip reefs. The first one I saw was on the Mahi and being chased by 3 divers trying for a picture. Night dives, evening dives, boat and shore, lobster hunting, whatever. No tigers. The only times I was attacked in Hawaii was by them pesky damsel fish protecting eggs. Well, I guess I could also count that sea turtle that thought my white gloves were squid.

Don't let TV scare you away.

seabat:
I lived and dove in Hawaii for 9 years during the 90's. During that time I do not recall hearing of a diver getting attacked by a tiger shark. When the young man got bit while boogie boarding north of Makaha the Advertiser printed out a list of shark attacks in Hawaii for the past 60 years. That list only had (if I remember correctly) one sport diver listed as suspected of being killed by a tiger shark. Suspected because they never found the diver. Other divers listed as attacked had probable cause listed as the fish they had speared being tied to their waist. The rest of the list were people on the surface.

In all the time I spent diving in Hawaii (granted only about 175 dives) I only saw 9 sharks, all white tip reefs. The first one I saw was on the Mahi and being chased by 3 divers trying for a picture. Night dives, evening dives, boat and shore, lobster hunting, whatever. No tigers. The only times I was attacked in Hawaii was by them pesky damsel fish protecting eggs. Well, I guess I could also count that sea turtle that thought my white gloves were squid.

Don't let TV scare you away.
Thank you

You're welcome Leesa.

If the attack that MechDiver refered to at Johnston Island happened in 2003, the man was snorkeling when attacked.

Grizz:
"its a good one but better in person"
Yes it is, ya get to see me mess my suit again, in person! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom