scanning pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll second that for the Minolta. It's easy to use and does a very good job for about $399, however, it takes time to scan the slides. From your post it sounded like you wanted to scan print images. I don't know of anything that does really high quality scans of photos other than a regular flat-bed scanner or a high quality drum scanner. I don't think taking shots with your 5050 is the answer. Look for a high quality flat-bed unit. TedJ

You need a new scanner...........
You need a new scanner..........
need a new scanner.............
a new scanner..................
new scanner.................
scanner....................
scanner.................
scanner............

If you listen to the voices in your head, you'd probably get a .....................new scanner :eek:

Diving is fun,
photog can frustrate you:boom:

Caymaniac

the Lexmark x5150 and it's scanning functions are very very good. The price was right $159 and since it was an all-in-one it doesn't take up more space on your desktop. I don't think it scans slides.

I've got an Epson Perfection 1650 Photo. It comes with a plastic tray that positions slides or negatives in the correct place. The lid also houses a white light that is used during slide/negative scanning. I would recommend it, but only because I have not personally tried any others. I was considering getting a negatives only scanner, but for the same price it seemed smarter to buy one that can do prints, negatives and slides. I believe it was about $199, but since computer prices drop so much you can probably get twice the scanner for half the price now.

Just look for a high dpi and if possible, usb 2.0. Both of those features will make you happy, one resulting in detailed images and the other gets those images to you faster :)

Oh yeah, another option would be to send the negatives to Kodak or something and get them to do the work. IMHO, you are probably better off scanning in the negatives than the prints (if you still have them). They were probably better protected and I believe the clarity and resolution of the negatives is higher. The other benifit is that with some scanners (like mine) you can slide the entire 5 picture negative into the holder and scan in 5 images at once. Be prepared for hours of boredom though, it can take quite a while to scan a bunch of images.

Hello,

For 35mm/APS film use the Dimage Dual Scan III
For larger film and flatbed use the epson perfect scan 3200, it will scan 4x5 negatives as well as printed material.

Ed

For those of you with this scanner, what software does this come with to edit photos, if any? What accessories do you recommend purchasing with it (if any)?

Thanks for the information - I am seriously considering this as I am not thrilled with the quality of the images scanned from my prints (it is probably the scanner!).

sapphire

Hello,

I recomend vuescan as a scan software and photoshop either full version or elements.

I use the Dimage Dual Scan II with all my images.

Ed

I'm using the software that Minolta provided with the DIMAGe Scan Dual III. It comes in two versions, fast and more complicated. So far I have opted for the fast version and been very pleased. Afterwards I use either Photoshop Elements 2 or Photoshop 6 to crop, rotate and edit. Mostly Elements does what I want to do.

You can see some photos on my website at www.tedjanssen.com and go to Barbara's pictures. They were taken with a Nikonos V, 35mm lens, SB-105 strobe and either Fuji Velvia 50 or Provia 100 film. My photos (Ted) were all taken with an Olympus 5050z and PT-015 housing with a Sea & Sea YS90DX strobe.

I think this scanner is substantially better than those that are generally available from the Best Buy and Circuit City type stores. Firsst, the resolution is better and second I think the optics are better. The Nikon scanner that is about $600-800 is also a very good one for the price, which was just a little too much for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom