SB105 Compatability for Digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flipperz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Any thoughts on any digital camera/housing compatability with the Nikonos SB105. I'm thinking there must be someway to use this strobe with a housing that's out there somewhere. Thanks!

SB105's will work with any system as long as it has Nikonos pin synch connectors, most do. Ikelite has different connectors but you can get ones that attach to the 105 from Ikelite. (i think) I use them all the time on my Tetra housings (Oly camera) on manual

If you want to do TTL then that is a different story, there are some sort of new TTL things comin out but not sure what strobes they work with. NOr what cameras either.

But you will find that shooting without TTL is pretty easy once you get used to it. I have never used TTl and so lack of TTL does not bother me...

Mike Veitch:
SB105's will work with any system as long as it has Nikonos pin synch connectors, most do. Ikelite has different connectors but you can get ones that attach to the 105 from Ikelite. (i think) I use them all the time on my Tetra housings (Oly camera) on manual

If you want to do TTL then that is a different story, there are some sort of new TTL things comin out but not sure what strobes they work with. NOr what cameras either.

But you will find that shooting without TTL is pretty easy once you get used to it. I have never used TTl and so lack of TTL does not bother me...

Thanks Mike!

Will my standard SB105 sync cord work with most of the systems presently available, or do I replace the sync cord depending upon the camera/housing I select? Seems as though Canon and Olympus are really into the U/W housings for their cameras, correct?

Depends on your system. What sort of camera do you/planning to have?

Most of the little plastic ones from Oly and Canon and Sony etc. do not have a hotshoe connector to plug the synch cord direct.

Light and Motion and Ikelite both offer housings with hotshoe connectors for the compact digital cameras, L&M uses a Nikonos pin and Ikelite uses the Ikelite connector pin.
For a housing without hotshoe then you need to use some sort of slave set up, if this is your kind of set up then you need to get a fibre optic cord that attaches to the slave sensor on the strobe itself.
The 105 has a slave mode and sensor whereas others like the Ikelite 125 does not (unless they changed that recently as mine is rather old).

Yup, like Mike, I use 2 SB105 with an Oly Tetra housing... strobes work fine. Would NOT recomment the "Wet Link" sycnch cords if that's an option. Keep it dry, tight connection... Wet links tend to corrode which causes the strobes not to fire when you need them. My Tetra came with "Wet Links"... finally out of frustration, got the screw in dry ones.. now to work on the little "Pig tail" from the camera to the strobe link.

Anyway, SB105's work fine in manual mode. Can't use them in TTL, camera, oly4040, isn't set up for it. It's just a matter of the synch cords matching the housing...

Hope that helps..

The SB105 will work in TTL with any of the Nikon Coolpix series that support an external flash. I use a SB105 with a Coolpix 995 in an Ike housing and TTL works pretty well, however macro tends to overexpose and then I switch out of TLL and manually set the strobe. Also you would need one of Ikes, Ike to Nik sync cords.

Steve B

StevenB:
The SB105 will work in TTL with any of the Nikon Coolpix series that support an external flash. I use a SB105 with a Coolpix 995 in an Ike housing and TTL works pretty well, however macro tends to overexpose and then I switch out of TLL and manually set the strobe. Also you would need one of Ikes, Ike to Nik sync cords.
Steve B

Steve,

The newer Coolpix cameras have NO sync cord connection and cannot trigger a flash other than by slave mode. In addition, they also use a pre-flash that causes all slave strobes (except special digital slave strobes) to fire before the main flash. The 105 will NOT work at all with these coolpix cameras - except with a special slave trigger.

Mark

they also use a pre-flash that causes all slave strobes (except special digital slave strobes) to fire before the main flash

Mark,
I had the impression that the cameras now-a-day had the option of cancelling the preflash... thus just a single flash which would trigger the slave strobe... As you said the newer strobes have a setting to adjust accordingly and I thought the cameras did too... so much so that it got confusing, heheh.. as to which one to adjust...
Anyway, just thought I'd ask as I'm using an older one... oly 4040.. and the 5050 isn't used with a strobe...

thanx...

fpoole:
Mark,
I had the impression that the cameras now-a-day had the option of cancelling the preflash... thus just a single flash which would trigger the slave strobe... As you said the newer strobes have a setting to adjust accordingly and I thought the cameras did too... so much so that it got confusing, heheh.. as to which one to adjust...
Anyway, just thought I'd ask as I'm using an older one... oly 4040.. and the 5050 isn't used with a strobe...

thanx...

Fpoole,

If you could turn off the pre-flash, there would be no need for the new digital-compatible strobes, triggers.....
The problem is that on most newer digital cams, you cannot turn off the pre-flash. Not a problem for 99.44% of the camera-toting population. Just for us.
It's even more annoying when you buy a $2000 camera like the D100 and cannot use a TTL strobe at all!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom