SB105 Compatability for Digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's even more annoying when you buy a $2000 camera like the D100 and cannot use a TTL strobe at all!

LOL... Geeesh.. I hear ya... although I hear there's a little gizmo that can be attached to what looks like the synch cord.. don't know if it works or not..

Also, the L&M has their version of TTL, but then that's their housing etc...
Sometimes I wonder if it's all a major plot.. heheh... and then I come back with the occassional kewl pic or two and it all seems worthwhile...

Till the next time... thanx for clarifying it... someone has a camera that can switch it off.. I was a HUGE topic of confusion somewhere... Ahhh... the mind, a wonderful thing to forget...

Lator and thanx..

Some do, some don't, the best summary I have seen of what does and doesn't is on the Ikelite website, in the digital camera, Nikon section.

Steve B

howard4113:
Steve,

The newer Coolpix cameras have NO sync cord connection and cannot trigger a flash other than by slave mode. In addition, they also use a pre-flash that causes all slave strobes (except special digital slave strobes) to fire before the main flash. The 105 will NOT work at all with these coolpix cameras - except with a special slave trigger.

Mark

If you could turn off the pre-flash, there would be no need for the new digital-compatible strobes, triggers.....
The problem is that on most newer digital cams, you cannot turn off the pre-flash. Not a problem for 99.44% of the camera-toting population. Just for us.
There are plenty of digicams out there where you can turn off the pre-flash: Olympus C5050/5060/8080 and Canon A80/A85/A95/S45/S50/60/S70 off the top of my head.
Here is how you can give new life to older strobes: New Digital Life for an Old Strobe

Back
Top Bottom