SB Report Card: Part 2

How friendly is ScubaBoard?

• Very friendly! Enough said.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • Friendly enough, but it can get hostile at times. I'd like to see moderators be more proactive.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Not friendly at all. You can't post anything without being attacked.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I chose number 2. BUT i don't think the moderators should be more proactive.

I think they do a pretty good job.

I don't like the way newer divers and flamed sometimes.

+1

Option 2 is actually two questions.

- SB can be hostile in certain forums and in regard to certain subjects. But we all have the option to move on, unsubscribe or block users.
- I don't think the mods need to be any more involved than I've observed thus far.

I think it is a mostly friendly place that is moderated very well. I think people would benefit from lurking before diving in sometimes.

If you look for negatives you can find them, if you look for the good in this place you'll be a lot happier.

Like others, I want an option between 1 and 2. Scubaboard is friendly enough, and doesn't need more moderation.

Here is an email that was sent to support. We've removed the sender's name, so they can remain anonymous. We wholeheartedly encourage more members with fewer posts to use this opportunity to be heard... It's no surprise that users with 2,000+ posts have no problem posting... Anyone else who wishes to be heard anonymously, or even post in this thread, please do so. Flames of any kind will not be tolerated, so feel free to share your impressions...

Hi,

I want to start by saying that SB is the best source of diving knowledge online.

I'm responding here as a new member with a "new member" perspective. I've read for quite a while in areas that interest me or to gain some knowledge/information, but I'm reluctant to ask questions about diving. I see a few threads with antagonistic answers, or members "attacking" the original poster, and I think "Why would I bother?" Sometimes the question isn't even answered.

I saw NetDoc's reply the other day in a thread, (Near Misses, I think) and I believe BoulderJohn, one of your moderators also replied, saying they don't want to moderate too much and ruin the exchange of information. But there's a great deal of difference between argument and debate. I see too much argument, where people are intent on pushing their opinion on others and they become downright rude. That thread can become spoiled and useless as a source of information for those of us who are new to posting, in my opinion. Debate, where people are able to respond civilly and counter the issues politely and thoroughly, is a much better way to go. There has to be a degree of expectation that you won't get howled down because others don't agree with you. I see some prolific posters (TSandM is one) are always polite and always helpful. That "helpful" bit often gets lost in a sea of acrimony, with the "I'm-right-and-you're-wrong" attitude.

In the same thread I mentioned above, another new poster said she didn't feel she could post and get a reasonable answer. I know you moderate the basic scuba section differently, but it IS off-putting to see any argumentative behaviour and rude responses. It's unnecessary to be rude to anyone, even if you disagree with them. And I don't think ANY question is silly. EG: I'll bring to your attention the thread in Scuba Related Court Cases (I'm in the lgeal profession) where I saw a thread called "Lost Dive Holiday whilst in The Maldives". I'd ask you to read some of the responses there, and try to look at them from the POV of a new member. Maybe people thought it was a frivolous question, but some of the replies are harsh and very impolite. Why? Because they can from behind their computer? I have to wonder what that brings to your site. Do you think that type of response is appropriate? And I don't think "growing a thick skin" is an answer. If you want your site to be used by new members then it has to have some type of standard of behaviour. Do you think being polite is going to stifle free speech? I think you'd get less "readers" and more "posters" if they didn't feel like they were going to be attacked for asking anything.

I know moderation is a difficult task, and deciding where the line is in the sand can be subjective, but I think your forum would be a lot friendlier if it cut down on the "argument" and reinforced the "debate".

I hope this has been what you wanted. I think your forum is generally great, but it could be improved even more.

Admittedly, there are some threads, and some areas of the SB forums, where a bit better job of self moderating would benefit us all.

Name calling, and personally attacking is not a valid form of debating, and is always the attitude of someone who deep down knows their position is weak. I am not a big fan of heavy handed moderating, though, and feel most of us can deal with the occasional flame job, or temper tantrum and go on about our business.

Having said that, I am satisfied that moderating as it is currently administered here, is pretty well balanced and effective. Almost all poster are friendly, some extremely so: helpful, educational and supportive, while only a few well known ones continually take the low road.

So, like others, my vote falls somewhere between #1 and #2

I was not aware of this poll when I posted another SB poll earlier today. There seems to be a bit of introspective discussions going on currently on SB, about the direction and benefits of this forum.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/su...d-mean-you-has-forum-changed-your-diving.html

The moderation team doesn't, and in fact cannot, read every single post as each one appears in the forums, so in many ways I think the moderation system we have in place, which relies mainly on the members themselves reporting bad posts, encourages a great deal of interaction and ownership of the board by its users. With everybody collaborating to keep things friendly and tidy by reporting posts they find objectionable, we all shape the tone of the board and let the staff know quite directly what sort of community we enjoy being a part of.

To my mind, the issue is less one of whether moderators are sufficiently pro-active and more about where the line is drawn and whether our interpretation of the ToS is too liberal, letting anything in a gray area go unmoderated, or whether instead we should tighten up and moderate more strictly.

It can be very much a "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" situation. When we get too meddlesome about the style or manner of expression, it really infuriates people. That's why we have a TOS; it fairly much spells out what is and is not tolerated here. But there are gray areas, and it's always a judgment call as to what to do with them. For every person who wants us to interfere and edit more, there is someone else who wants us to leave more alone.

I have found people to be friendly, in person even more so.

As someone mentioned above, interpreting what is written is difficult without the nuance of the face to face.

Mods do not need to be more proactive.

Do you find Canadians friendly? DO YOU?!?!?!? Well?!?!?!?!?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

IMNSHO, SB is like a large family. I am 3 of 10. I know large family. Yes, we are the Borg :)

Sometimes you get a bit "hot", but then you get over it. We are all adults.

I think the mods do a good job of balancing when to let things go and when to step in (and can say that honestly, having been "modded" a couple of times, well deserved).

I think that if people approach SB as adults, it really isn't any more hostile than a family gathering. With any large group of people, IMNSHO, if you expect better than that, you need a reality check.

Here is an email that was sent to support. We've removed the sender's name, so they can remain anonymous. We wholeheartedly encourage more members with fewer posts to use this opportunity to be heard... It's no surprise that users with 2,000+ posts have no problem posting... Anyone else who wishes to be heard anonymously, or even post in this thread, please do so. Flames of any kind will not be tolerated, so feel free to share your impressions...

I don't mind admitting to that being my email, but couldn't you have fixed the typo for me? Embarrassing! :blush:

I also want to add that it can be like a big family for those who have been here awhile and know people well either online or personally. But for newcomers it's a bit like standing outside on the veranda, hoping someone will notice you, open the door, allow you to speak and have an opinion, and reply to you politely.

IMNSHO, SB is like a large family. I am 3 of 10. I know large family. Yes, we are the Borg :)Sometimes you get a bit "hot", but then you get over it. We are all adults.I think the mods do a good job of balancing when to let things go and when to step in (and can say that honestly, having been "modded" a couple of times, well deserved).I think that if people approach SB as adults, it really isn't any more hostile than a family gathering. With any large group of people, IMNSHO, if you expect better than that, you need a reality check.

I don't think argument is good at any time. Informed debate for me is far better all round as it promotes a more positive learning environment too. So gcarter, I'm afraid I'm in the camp that does expect better, especially from people who call themselves adults! If some people on here can reply politely, we all can don't you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom