SB Report Card: Part 2

How friendly is ScubaBoard?

• Very friendly! Enough said.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • Friendly enough, but it can get hostile at times. I'd like to see moderators be more proactive.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Not friendly at all. You can't post anything without being attacked.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would have chosen 2 but I don't think the moderators need to be more proactive.

The nature of internet communication is bound to generate hostility, and the moderators do a good job of keeping it to an acceptable level. IMHO anyway.

Friendly sometimes, sometimes not so much. Mostly I ignore stupid responses but would like to see the MODs take care of some of the really stupid tread openers. I have nothing specific in mind but sometimes feel like answering, something like: Of course you are going to get wet if you go scuba diving in a wet suit... I post a lot less than I used to because of the inane questions and stupid answers, I can't correct it and won't try, but there are a lot of half truths and bogus answers floating around here on the board. My worry is that non divers start feeling that they know what they are doing when they have never even been in the water, same for envelope pushers who think they can do 70 meters because they read a book or a thread on SB...

Overall, great variety of forums/sub forums, really appreciate all the info and generally polite discourse about given topics. Happy to have found this site, and to be 'in the mix' ...

And since the 'Pub' was mentioned, special place alright, ... as far as I can tell, the vast majority of SB members is probably never gonna go there(if they got any common sense:wink:) ... Anyway, I looove that joint, totally different groove, and I'm glad, the Mod's cut us some slack in there, just wouldn't be the same without that ... And on that note, let me go and check, what's new ...

I chose 2, but I don't think the mods need to be any more proactive than they already are. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw from. In some of the forums you need a tough skin, however, in the forums that cater to newer divers I've never seen a real problem that wasn't immediately addressed.

That being said, there are certain topics or opinions that seem to be taboo in any forum. If you spend any amount of time here you'll know what they are...

I would have preferred an option in between one and two...something like:

Usually friendly, Usually Helpful, Always insightful. Currently moderated appropriately.

While I see some flames and lots of questions there is an immense amount of knowledge and a wealth of people who truly want to help you with your diving.

Just the fact that a Mod started this poll looks like there is something going on about this in the backroom.

*** WARNING TO ALL MODS***
Don't get TO proactive, it will cost you your position.
Just look at how many mods/advisors "left"the place.
Or are hardly ever on board.

I've experienced the entire spectrum in my short time on SB and find SBers for the most part friendly.

Certain forums are more friendly than others because the posters in those forums self-moderate themselves. There are the usual suspects who like to stir the pot or push their personal agenda so I've learned to ignore their posts.

I avoid the areas of SB that are less friendly because I'm not getting paid to be here so why should I subject myself to that environment.

As for the poll above, I was going to pick option two but I don't believe the moderators need to be more proactive. I think they do a great job on their own personal time with the resources at hand.

I chose number 2. BUT i don't think the moderators should be more proactive.

I think they do a pretty good job.

I don't like the way newer divers and flamed sometimes.

I have found people to be friendly, in person even more so.

As someone mentioned above, interpreting what is written is difficult without the nuance of the face to face.

Mods do not need to be more proactive.

I have found people to be friendly, in person even more so.

As someone mentioned above, interpreting what is written is difficult without the nuance of the face to face.

Mods do not need to be more proactive.

Agreed.

I hope the Mods give us their feedback on these polls as well. I am interested in what they think. And in the direction they want SB to go..or if changes are needed and forthcoming.

Back
Top Bottom