SB Newbie in So Cal, getting ready to get wet again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello ScubaBoard!

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Christian and I'm from Altadena, CA.

Originally certified NAUI in 1979 in Santa Barbara by Sam Spaulding, I later took a full semester class at Cal State Northridge in 1985 with a gentleman whom I thought was a phenominal instructor named Richard "Dick" Stride and got an LA County Certification from him. I only mention this in case someone knows either of these 2 gentlemen.

I did quite a bit of diving for a number of years and then "life got in the way" and I stopped. The last dive I did was in Lanai, Hawaii in 1997 although I really stopped diving quite a few years before that. Before I stopped, I was comfortable doing no deco dives to 100 ft and knew and carried the deco tables, just in case. The only diving I did with a computer was with an Orca Edge that I borrowed from the Dive Shop at Sport Chalet when I worked in their La Canada store (mostly in the ski shop). I enjoyed borrowing and playing with the DPV rentals as well.

Although I am "technically" not a novice, I am approaching the process of getting back in the water as if I were a novice. After all, having been out of the water for so long, I'm not sure how bad my skills may have become. I aspire to getting into what I now see is called "tech diving", but not until I am comfortable with my renewed (and other newly discovered) water skills. I imagine that it might take a while.

I went to quite a few dive shops in the area to figure out where I might fit in and Hollywood Divers appears to be a good fit. They seemed to fit with the diving philosophy I was originally taught.

I'm working on getting back into what I consider to be a minimum for cardio-vascular shape when it comes to beach diving (which I've always enjoyed). I'm hiking in the hills of Altadena and plan on getting back on my mountain bike in the next couple of weeks for some "hill climbs".

As part of the process of "getting ready", I have spent many hours reading information on the Internet. That's how I learned about scubaboard.com. It has become a great place to find information with a minimum of flame wars to wade through and yet still has a variety of opinions.

Well, I hope that wasn't too long of an introduction...and now that I've read what I wrote I hope it doesn't sound like a "personals" ad! ;-)

I've enjoyed lurking on your board up to now.

Thanks.

Christian

You might want to check out the CA forums (or is that fora?) below.

Welcome back to the ocean!

Hi there!

Welcome to SB.

Diverlady

Howdy Chritian! :sunny

Welcome to SB!! :happywave Put us in your favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

It wouldn't hurt to start over with the OW course, as long as you've been out...?

don

DandyDon:
Howdy Chritian! :sunny

Welcome to SB!! :happywave Put us in your favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

It wouldn't hurt to start over with the OW course, as long as you've been out...?

don

Thanks for the suggestion Don. I agree that I should not just walk out onto the beach with some old buddy who's been out of the water for just as long and think "it'll be fine".

I'll probably go through an advanced class to get some pool time and get the boyancy figured out on some new gear. I decided that diving with my 20 year old wetsuit (and some other gear) probalbly wouldn't work out to well.

At least I stopped using the old Horse Collar style BC in the early 80's! I have decided to trade the old Seatech Manta BC in for a backplate and wings though. I never really liked the way the jacket style BC wrapped around me compared to the simple harness system I started out with.

I think I'll keep using the Conshelf SE reg for a while. I'm having it overhauled with new parts as we speak. It was always easy breathing and I currently see no reason to change as long as it's safely using new parts.

Happy diving!

Christian

Hey there--welcome and you are more than welcome to join our group!

JPBECK:
Hey there--welcome and you are more than welcome to join our group!

Thanks Joe!

I just looked at your group page and noticed you say that many of you are DIR, but not insistant on everyone in your group being DIR. From much of what I've read on the Internet, that sounds like a difficult position to hold.

DIR is something that I would like to learn more about. It seems to be in line with my diving philosophy of minimalism in gear with more thorough training and conditioning. From what I have read, I may be able to refer to myself at some point in the future as "Hogarthian", but possibly not "DIR". I say this because I may adopt almost all of what it means to be DIR, but not actually all of it.

It seems like the DIR message itself is good, but that there are many messengers whose attitudes get in the way of anyone hearing the message. I will reserve judgement until I have had a proper personal introduction to the entire subject. I was actually thinking of taking a class from Tamara Kendel in San Diego when my basic abilities are back up to par. I've read some very positive reviews on her teaching ability.

Hopefully, what I've written above doesn't start some sort of flame war. I realize that this is a sensitive subject with some, but I am planning on listening to both DIR and non-DIR camps with an open mind.

Thanks again.

Christian

We are not DIR NAZ*s that is to say--your right some people are--- Some of us dive DIR some do not--If I had it my way I would have everyone dive DIR but it is very hard to get someone to buy into the BP and wings, because they look so primitive--I'm with you in that I like being as streemlined as I can with nothing dangleing --I am an instructor so I cant always dive with DIR type people... Diving with people you know is a fundamental principal in DIR diving and that is something we do--- Equipment configuration is secondary in my view------I was Diving DIR before it was even called DIR-- Someone once asked me when I took my DIR Fundamentals class---I told them I have been taking that class for the last 15 years--- They said "It's only been around for like 5"-- Some people are funny that way--- Igonor the DIR Zombies and follow the basic prinicpals only if they make sense to you... Only if you understand them should you follow them--- The days of your mother telling you to do something cause she told you to are over---

Sounds like you are on the right track! As for Tamra --I have never met her--Chris S (one of our members) took her class a few months ago--he loved it --but he said he really didint get much out of it cause he has been diving that way for a while.

DIRF is basically to nail down your equipment config--and work on your trim... Sounds to me like you would only need the config--after your skills get un-rusted!

If we start getting flammed just remember that there are other ways to communicate this stuff...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom