Saying hello and asking about being a divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,
I just found the forum and thought it would be a nice way to get more immersed in the diving community! I'm a relatively inexperienced diver, although I'm dedicated to it, and am finishing my PADI AOWD course. With that being said, other than saying "hi," I do have a question:

I am planning on continuing my diving experience and am going to go for the Divemaster qualification. However, I've realized that the course fees, all the necessary immersions, etc., are quite expensive (I must add I'm in no hurry to do these, though). Now I've heard about different "internship" like opportunities where you work for a dive shop in exchange for free classes and immersions.

I'm asking about this because I love scuba diving, and my goal is to eventually get employed as a Divemaster, or at least in a scuba shop, which would allow me that "foot in the door" I'd need to keep diving and pick up valuable experience.

So does anyone have any insights or suggestions about how I would go about looking for these sorts of opportunities?? Thanks everyone!

Hi there,

I just picked up an Internship basically by asking all my local schools if they did one and what was the application process. I got mails back from every single one saying yes they do but most of them by now can only offer internships midweek as all the weekends were full of existing interns. Luckily midweek for me was better than weekends :)
Basically if I were you i'd just ask all the schools you can realistically get to and see what response you get...but in any case you will still need to get your Rescue course done first.
Good luck with it all anyways, hope it all works out for you

Chris

Oh and one other thing, although you can get your classes and immersions free, you will still be expected to pay for your own materials, certification fee, and own all your own equipment...so it still works out pretty expensive!

Back
Top Bottom