Sawfish sightings-Have you seen one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw one a few years ago in about 100fsw off of Hollywood Florida, it was approximately 10' long. There is an ongoing study of sawfish sightings in Florida waters and all sightings should be reported. There is information in this link regarding reporting sawfish sightings: Fish and Wildlife Research Institute

I'd love to see one - heard reports that some divers saw one a few weeks ago off Jupiter. Saw one as a kid in the aquarium at Miami Seaquarium in 1971. Aquariums loved sawfish b/c they were big and looked so menacing.

Maybe we can get lucky with the Sawfish similar to the Goliath Grouper; I remember 15 or 20 years ago you NEVER saw any - we did a dive on the "Eagle" about 14 years ago, saw one and felt like we saw a whale shark!

Still great to see, now we see them almost every dive. They have really made a nice comeback, so much so that some in the fishing community want to allow "harvesting" : (- mainly because the goliath are taking hooked fish on the way up. Open up a season and we can undo one of the few success stories in recent years re bringing back an endangered marine population.

While I hope for the best, I suspect the sawfish comeback is going to be more challanging; the goliath was a problem of overfishing, like the swordfish (also making a nice comeback) so we knew what needed to be done. I don't think we know all that much about the sawfish, and they were likely never very comon to begin with.

Think they are one of them most unique fish in the ocean and look forward to seeing one in its natural habitatat soon. Best of luck w/ your reasearch.

Ive seen two, on seperate occassions, in my life.

One sighting was approximately 22 years ago on the Wreck of the Eagle in the Florida Keys (approx. 100' depth). That one was a big one, definitely in the 12'+ range. I remember there was excellent visibility that day and it did several passes on the wreck, each time slowly swiming off to the sand, only to eventually return again. If I had to guess, I would say it almost seemed interested in checking us out, because it returned a few times.

The second sighting was in approximately 1995 on a shallow reef in the Ft. Lauderdale area. This one was considerably smaller, maybe 6' to 7'. I remember being on the lower part of the reef, and seeing it swim over my head as it traveled the top of the reef in a Northerly direction. It never gave us the time of day.

..... They have really made a nice comeback, so much so that some in the fishing community want to allow "harvesting"

Let's clarify this a little more.

The request to review Goliath Grouper populations that was presented to the FWC & NOAA, was addressing the Gulf Side of Florida. It had nothing to do with the Atlantic side.

The gulf side populations of GG have exploded in numbers to the point they are now suspected of reducing populations of smaller fish. There is no active study currently ongoing to monitor the GG and that is what is being requested of the NMFS and FWC.

Just my own opinion, but the Atlantic side GG protection is just fine with me to keep it in place. Gulfside, not so sure.

Hi John

"Some in the fishing community....." yup, sounds right.....

But you are likely correct, John - b/c I live in SE FL, I've heard a sentiment expressed by many that the Goliath's are becoming a "nusuance" and it might be time to reconsider.

I may be wrong but I thought it was up for grabs all over - SE Coast, the Keys, et al. Did not know it was limited to the West coast. My comments were based on hearing from friends who fish that the GG have become a real pain; I just remember a few short years back when you never saw them.

Thanks for the info as I think we are fine here and in the Keys; would not make a decision for the West coast as I'm not all that familiar; however I'd be inclined to err on the far side of caution.

From Jupiter Dive Centers Web Site

May 9th Republic VII

May 10th, 2009
The conditions could not be better, we had a great day of diving and a fantastic nite dive with the full moon made for a fantastic evening.
Some of our divers today had the rare pleasure of seeing a sawfish, very cool?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom