Saw this on Another Forum...Deep Deep Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Burke:
That is often an excellent way to get someone killed.

Sure, shop talk about how a rebreather works is fair game, but the subject of this thread would not be casual conversation.

I have found that the majority of "SEALs" one meets out and about have never been SEALs.

I've never met a SEAL out and about so I'm not sure what that's about. The conversations I've had with SEALs and other special forces personnel have been in the confines of a military institution. Maybe they talk more.

I'd never waste valuable time with such an interesting person talking about the inner workings of a rebreather. It sounds like you've never had a good conversation with one about their job. I suggest giving it a try, next time you bump into one out and about. For starters, ask about an engagement you've read about in the paper. SEALs were involved in some widely publicized engagements during the last couple of wars (there is a good lag between events and when they make the news, but contrary to popular belief some of what SEALs do is not classified). More often than not, you'll get a second story for the price of one. Here is some advice someone in the know once gave me when talking to a SEAL: "Don't ask how they feel about Navy Intel and bringing up GI Jane is a really bad idea, other than that, ask away." It's worked so far.

I've heard some drop-jaw stories from SEAL officers and as far as I know no one is dead because of it. These aren't spies.

JB

RockPile:
I've never met a SEAL out and about so I'm not sure what that's about. The conversations I've had with SEALs and other special forces personnel have been in the confines of a military institution. Maybe they talk more.

I'd never waste valuable time with such an interesting person talking about the inner workings of a rebreather. It sounds like you've never had a good conversation with one about their job. I suggest giving it a try, next time you bump into one out and about. For starters, ask about an engagement you've read about in the paper. SEALs were involved in some widely publicized engagements during the last couple of wars (there is a good lag between events and when they make the news, but contrary to popular belief most of what SEALs do is not classified). More often than not, you'll get a second story for the price of one. Here is some advice someone in the know once gave me when talking to a SEAL: "Don't ask how they feel about Navy Intel and bringing up GI Jane is a really bad idea, other than that, ask away." It's worked so far.

I've heard some drop-jaw stories from SEAL officers and as far as I know no one is dead because of it. These aren't spies.

JB

You may want to have a look at DBs bio. Given his age and military background, I dare say he's had the opportunity to deal with more SEALS than you have, so I tend to lean towards his line. Given that you are only relatively young, the SEALS you have met may have been winding you up.

wettek:
You may want to have a look at DBs bio. Given his age and military background, I dare say he's had the opportunity to deal with more SEALS than you have, so I tend to lean towards his line. Given that you are only relatively young, the SEALS you have met may have been winding you up.

I respect the opinion of anyone with a military background. That said, I'm not going to feign ignorance on this topic because you think I'm young. These are people I know and have worked with for years. I consider myself privileged for the experience and completely understand why someone who hasn't would be skeptical.

I'll leave it at that. The topic is worn.

JB

RockPile:
That said, I'm not going to feign ignorance on this topic because you think I'm young. These are people I know and have worked with for years. I consider myself privileged for the experience and completely understand why someone who hasn't would be skeptical.
But herein lies the problem.
Either your colleague(s) are releasing pretty well-classified information, or they're telling tall tales.

RockPile:
Actually, you have been sold a bill of goods, several times over.

Here is a tidbit from one of your earlier posts in this thread:
RockPile:
This is very real. I've met one of these divers too. They dig in to cover their heat generating equipment in a way that a submarines and robots have trouble with (robots have too much going on to hide with some earth but not this suit). This completely changes their sonic profile or signature.
Hmmmmmmmmm...... You might want to read "Blind Man's Bluff" for some tips on hiding infrared emissions.
RockPile:
I've heard some drop-jaw stories from SEAL officers
...and I would imagine they are still laughing their butts off.

SEALs and divers have an interesting sense of humor and you have found it.

Don Burke:
Actually, you have been sold a bill of goods, several times over.

Here is a tidbit from one of your earlier posts in this thread:Hmmmmmmmmm...... You might want to read "Blind Man's Bluff" for some tips on hiding infrared emissions....and I would imagine they are still laughing their butts off.

SEALs and divers have an interesting sense of humor and you have found it.

Don,

I think I made it clear that I wasn't depending much on the diver who claimed to be involved with the breathing method (didn't you and I already chat about who would likely be doing diving of this sort? I believe you said that hard hat divers would be a better bet than a SEAL.). And I was talking about the suit in a more abstract way than I was the actual concept of breathing liquid. I suspect the liquid breathing is real and question the info about the suit and application (depth, length, temp control). But that's mostly because I think it's an interesting idea, not because I heard it from a diver.

When pressed, I think the only thing I can really disagree with you about is this thing that SEALs have some kind of an introverted personality that precludes them from talking about their job.

archman:
But herein lies the problem.
Either your colleague(s) are releasing pretty well-classified information, or they're telling tall tales.

That's an odd thing to say. There are things that guys in the Spec Ops community won't talk about, obviously. But you're just dead wrong. These guys can sit down and shoot the sh#@ and tell you about things they've seen and done without lying or leaking classified information.

JB

I have to admit I didn't read through this whole thread...but the feasibility of the hearsay in the first post is...questionable to me. Has it been proven true/false somewhere in the middle of the thread?

RockPile:
There are things that guys in the Spec Ops community won't talk about, obviously. But you're just dead wrong. These guys can sit down and shoot the sh#@ and tell you about things they've seen and done without lying or leaking classified information.
You're joking, right? If it's restricted material, it's er... restricted material. Heck, there's geologists in our oceanography department that aren't permitted to disclose certain information they've signed piddly confidentiality agreements on. This includes shooting the sh#@.

My father spent 20 years in the Navy, working in hospital administration. Even HE did activites that he wasn't permitted to discuss to anyone but cleared personnel. Half my family's in military service. It's great getting them all together at Thanksgiving and trying to ask them detailed questions about some of their jobs. It's truly amazing what information the government will restrict. My lame-butt friend over at 125th Infantry can't answer certain technical questions I have about the new Stryker Infantry Assault vehicles they're just getting.

Your user profile indicates that you were employed at a military academy for a while. You should know at least a little about this.

Here, read this.
http://stevegilliard.blogspot.com/2005/10/what-is-violating-security-clearance.html

If liquid breathing is actually being currently practiced by Navy SEALS, and that isn't classified, it's a suregone conclusion THAT info will make its way to the internet. It would definitely be published by the relevant oceanographic and ocean technology mags. Ditto for burying oneself in deep sea mud for a few days. Both of those aspects would be well disseminated to the oceanographic community, at any rate. Our oceanography department hasn't heard a peep. Nothing about it on the marine science listerv's I subscribe too, either.

I really see no way that it would be possible to breathe liquid.

Don't you need some form of gills to extract oxygen from liquid, no mater how high the O2 content of said liquid may be?

Lungs can't just absorb O2 the way they absorb, say, nicotine can they? Also, wouldn't uncontrollable coughing be a rather important side-effect of this whole process, making it impossible anyways? Maybe throat relaxants are another magical drug incorporated into this MEGADRYSUITEOFBADITUDE?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom