Saw this on Another Forum...Deep Deep Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

camshaft:
it's much harder for your lungs to get the CO2 back into the solution,

Interesting. Haven't heard that one yet. In discussion on its medical uses with premature babies they didn't address it. Interesting though.

camshaft:
Grrr, Rockpile you stole my sig quote. The scubagods punishment shall be swift....

Sorry about the quote (but my quote is longer than your quote). I suggest a dive-off. I'm thinking cold water, no-viz capture the flag.... :)

JB

Meng_Tze:
Here are some hints.......

Why do seals have to dig in? Submarines have no windows and guess what... if robots can be detected by their sonar image.... so will the pump and the heater......any moving part and any electrical part has a signature, including small pumps and heaters.

contradicting pieces here. And beside, c'mos, with the sonar nets around the world it is practically impossible to slip through, even as an ordinary diver, let alone a submarine......

But okay I'll play along. What does the neighbour Doctor say? No deco? So basically O2 with a non-absorbed dilutent.... whonder what that comes from dilithium crystals?

hey people once said cars were devil wagons.

RockPile:
This is very real. I've met one of these divers too. They dig in to cover their heat generating equipment in a way that a submarines and robots have trouble with (robots have too much going on to hide with some earth but not this suit).
Please tell us more about this diver fellow, and what he told you about this technology.

Sound like bollocks to me.

I am familiar with the liquid breathing experimentation, but I am amazed at how many people profess to know SEALS, or "have a friend who is a SEAL who told me" I would suggest that the real Seals are the guys who keep their mouth shut and don't tell the world who they are, and what the military is working with. The guys who have to tell you they are, are more than likely just out to impress by talking BS. What do the opposing submarines do, make appointments to conveniently go past the point bugger all square metre where a guy is buried in 8 jillion square miles of ocean. C'mon,,,,,,,,
I 'll just sit here now and wait for the arrows.

archman:
Please tell us more about this diver fellow, and what he told you about this technology.

Well, I'll tell you more about what he said about the technology, which was nothing. I didn't ask any good questions. This was before I even had an interest in diving. He said he had qualified for the training and not much else on the subject.

Reading the post you quoted, it sounds a little like I got all that info from him, which is not the case and I hope no one took that to be the case. Everything I know (and I use that term loosely) about Liquivent and the idea that you can dive on it is just what I've pick up here and there.

I just happen to believe that it's used.

Also, I just found yet another unverified source off the web (a site that debunks or critiques bad science in movies, this page being about The Abyss) that has a slightly more optimistic view on whether or not the military has adapted the Liquivent to diving: http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/abyss.html

www.intuitor.com:
Fortunately, the SEALs brought an experimental liquid-breathing deep-diving suit. Previously we had been shown scenes of a pet rat breathing while immersed in the special oxygenated perflouorocarbon (PFC) liquid. The rat scene was real and the rat unharmed. Indeed, the breathing liquid was actually under development at the time. However, it had a serious flaw for deep sea diving. The liquid was about twice as dense as water, making it exhausting to move in and out of the lungs when performing strenuous underwater work.

The Navy may now be using a secret deep diving system with liquid breathing, but according to world class submersible designer Graham Hawkes, such a system has never been commercialized. Even though the diving equipment was speculative, much to their credit, the Abyss makers hired knowledgeable consultants to make their portrayal of the technology reasonable.

JB

wettek:
Sound like bollocks to me.

I am familiar with the liquid breathing experimentation, but I am amazed at how many people profess to know SEALS, or "have a friend who is a SEAL who told me" I would suggest that the real Seals are the guys who keep their mouth shut and don't tell the world who they are, and what the military is working with. The guys who have to tell you they are, are more than likely just out to impress by talking BS. What do the opposing submarines do, make appointments to conveniently go past the point bugger all square metre where a guy is buried in 8 jillion square miles of ocean. C'mon,,,,,,,,
I 'll just sit here now and wait for the arrows.

Well, if you've met SEALs, you've met SEALs. I've met more than a few and worked with some. This was at a military academy and, let's just say, their resumes were in order. I won't list names nor will I worry about how amazed you may be with people I’ve met. If you'd like me to regale you with tales you have to buy me a beer first.

As to them keeping their mouths shut, some things they won't talk about and other things they write books about. Roy Boehm, the founder of the SEALs, talks about his missions in great detail in First Seal.

JB

As much as the military makes people seem like numbers, the people that train at this high of a level are spendy, and to keep them proficient with that kind of skillset is even more expensive. It would be far easier......and..... here is the important part: more reliable to use some form of ROV or SatInt imaging. There isn't enough science behind that kind of depth to make it worth it. Uncle Sam may not care about all lives(just kiddin'), but he is concerned about the ones that he spent money-possibly millions-on training.

RockPile:
Again, if this technology does exist my guess is that the uses wouldn't be this obvious.

So they're quite happy to tell everybody about their technology for tracking/viewing submarines?????? Considering how super secret submarine technology is (despite what Tom Clancy would have us believe) I find it hard to believe that all these seals are fessing up to the public what the navy gets up to......

Prudent_Rabbit:
what do SEALs do down there? apparently they dig a hole, cover themselves up to their necks wtih mud and wait for submarines for a number of days then when it goes by....military secrets...
There are better, cheaper, quieter, and safer ways to do that.
Prudent_Rabbit:
sounds like sci-fi doesn`t it? Can`t wait till this thing gets comercial :wink:
It already _is_ comical.

Sending SEALs on deep missions when there are much more qualified people around is simply nuts.

I have been on missions where divers went deep to collect information. There was not a SEAL in sight.

I have been on missions where we put SEALs out. I am pretty sure no one went deeper than about 60 feet without having a nuclear submarine wrapped around him. Less than 30 was the norm.

Breathing liquid? It has many possibilities. This is not one of them.

Blitz:
As much as the military makes people seem like numbers, the people that train at this high of a level are spendy, and to keep them proficient with that kind of skillset is even more expensive.

I'm not arguing with that!

Blitz:
It would be far easier......and..... here is the important part: more reliable to use some form of ROV or SatInt imaging

You're still thinking about this in terms of objects of a variety with which we are acquainted. My guess is that this would be useful for something that ROVs and sats can't help with; some kind objective requiring some adlibbing or maybe there actually is some kind HumInt that can be acquired at that depth. I don't know, I'm just trying to get outside the box for the fun of it. Perhaps there are studies taking place that deep. Anyway...

Blitz:
There isn't enough science behind that kind of depth to make it worth it. Uncle Sam may not care about all lives(just kiddin'), but he is concerned about the ones that he spent money-possibly millions-on training.

This I'll debate. We aren't acquainted with the same Uncle Sam, I think. I'm familiar with the one that spends quite liberally.

But you could be (and probably are) right. Thanks for opinion though. I enjoy talking about this stuff and it sounds like you've got some backgrd.

JB

Back
Top Bottom