Save the Goliath Grouper!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be in favor of a scuba hunting tax, that would only be fair and support ongoing evaluation

Why would a "Scuba hunting tax" be fair? Why should the scuba hunters who have already paid a fishing license fee (to fish) be required to pay more to take fish? Would this special tax apply to lionfish hunters or would it depend on what species are targeted?

There already is one. We pay it every single year.

Recreational Saltwater Licenses & Permits

There is not a tax on the scuba reef kickers though. :wink:

Make retirees pay full price for fishing/hunting licenses and FWC would be rolling in the dough. They're the group who put the most pressure on FL resources anyway..

I disagree, we should do our best to keep government intervention out of diving as much as possible- but this is off topic anyway.

Fees are already collected for boat registration, a federal tax on all fishing gear and there are also fishing license fees in place.

I disagree, we should do our best to keep government intervention out of diving as much as possible- but this is off topic anyway.

Fees are already collected for boat registration, a federal tax on all fishing gear and there are also fishing license fees in place.

I'm more thinking that $300 a tag x 100 tags = $30,000 per year. A friend of mine just got an entry-level job with FWC doing dockside catch reporting and that probably doesn't even cover her barrel-scraping salary for the year. Arguing this is going to be some kind of windfall for the artificial reef program is laughable.

I'm more thinking that $300 a tag x 100 tags = $30,000 per year. A friend of mine just got an entry-level job with FWC doing dockside catch reporting and that probably doesn't even cover her barrel-scraping salary for the year. Arguing this is going to be some kind of windfall for the artificial reef program is laughable.
No one made that argument. But popping every diver every year for $20 who doesn't hold an FWC license would be a windfall and could fund a proper stock assessment.

I know when I go to Costa Rica next month I will pay a $10 tax for going diving.

You're kidding right? Scuba diving is peanuts compared to hook and line fishing. For every scuba charter there is likely 100 fishing charters.

In fact scuba diving participation has been declining for years.
The financial impact of fishing in Florida is staggering.
I would be in favor of a scuba hunting tax, that would only be fair and support ongoing evaluation

Fisherman already pay for a license. Fishing gear is taxed under the Wallow-Breau Act and the Dingle - Johnson Act.

Sportsmen and Sportswomen Generate Nearly $1 Billion in Conservation Funding

There are many fisherman who are strictly catch and release. They are required to have a license. Just like Snook and Lobster, the FWC should require a SCUBA/REBREATHER stamp. This would give all divers a chance to help fund the resource. It is time for the Diving Community to help.

Please stop putting the idea in peoples' heads for another tax. But if you must, then do it to the tourists not the residents. Residents already are taxed enough through vessel registration, property tax, and fishing license (required for hook and line as well as spear fishing and lobster hunting).

The last thing a Florida resident needs is a sightseeing tax which is what you would be charging divers not engaged in the harvest of Marine species. Open that box and you can justify a sightseeing tax just for taking a kayak trip down a scenic River or anything else people go to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom