Save the Goliath Grouper!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think they would pay a lot more. Endangered African big game are often in the 6 figures.
I don't know. I can hop on a boat tomorrow and catch a big grouper for a photo op and it wouldn't cost me anything. Why would anyone pay for it? The fish has to be given to the FWC for studying. I'm telling you, this is all theater.

First images on an internet search.

1633830091726.png

1633829948490.png

1633829975205.png

Apparently, you’ve never hooked a GG? There are charters that specialize in taking clients to catch GG. Even though they are catch and release only. If there was no sport or challenge, these charters wouldn’t have many customers.

When hooked, they don’t just casually swim up to the surface. They’ll fight every step of the way.
…and so? More manly because you fight a fish?

No, skill. I know quite a few fishermen who literally never take a fish. They are purely doing it for the sport.

Not me. I don’t really care to fight a fish only to release it. But I do understand why some do. My point was in reference to another poster inferring it was easy to catch a Goliath. Not too difficult to hook a Goliath, but that’s different from a catch.

Catch and release isn't a particularly ethical use of a fishery for several reasons but in particular release mortality so I wouldn't claim any moral superiority if I were a strict catch and release fisherman vs. a strictly meat fisherman. No is culling legal fish to get the best specimen for the same reason.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom