Save paradise reef!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovedivingalways

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There is a post on facebook that there are plans to expand Puerto Maya and ruin part of Paradise reef.
Here is the post:

[h=5]Elodie Casteilla
[/h]20 hrs

SAY GOODBYE TO PARADISE REEF…
Dear friends who cares about cozumel, you have to know that paradise reef is going to disappear. They are going to build another pier for the carnival cruise ship , and they gonna build it to the last section of paradise reef, which means that we ll be able to dive and snorkel just the first section. They ll destroy all the last section. They want to transplant the last section of paradise reef in front of the love bar and the north part.
So we need all of us, to keep the reef, to DO something…I don t know how, but we cannot let them do that, just because money…How many people go to that reef to dive or to snorkel???? Let s to do something!

This is PROPOSED - but I guess because someone heard it from someone who heard that it could happen posted it with pure speculation and no solutions - on facebook - it must be true!

Getting this approved and then actually done will be a huge battle - :shakehead:

Oh Christi, I hope you are right.... but I never thought I would see the other part of Paradise dynamited to make a pier and that happened. Talking to a few locals on our trip a week ago, we heard opinions that the cruise ships have made their lives so much better and that divers are of little importance to the island now. Don't know if that is true or not, but to hear it from a local made me very sad.

Stuff like this happens all the time in Cozumel…proposal, response, gonna be, forget it. At this time of enhanced environmental sensitivity I cannot imagine such a thing happening. That is like the Trump Resort on the east side, or the new cruise ship pier at Puerto Abrigo. Ain't gonna happen in my lifetime. What to worry!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Stuff like this happens all the time in Cozumel…proposal, response, gonna be, forget it. At this time of enhanced environmental sensitivity I cannot imagine such a thing happening. That is like the Trump Resort on the east side, or the new cruise ship pier at Puerto Abrigo. Ain't gonna happen in my lifetime. What to worry!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Or the Trans-peninsular railroad

Or the Ferry between the US and some point on the Yucatan

Or the Tulum international airport.

Or the new marina by the caleta.

Ain't gonna happen in my lifetime.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Like the new Fontor Navy Marina actually opening? They did let the Rodeo boats tie up there. Good to see it get used once a year.....

I hate this but it looks like it as a real project to enlarge the current Puerta Maya pier.http://sipse.com/.../invierte-naviera-en-ampliacion-de...

I could not see the page. However, if you look at the El Cid webcam, there is a barge with crane at the left side between the two main piers.

I am not a cruise ship docking space expert but I question whether you could or would want to place another cruise ship pier between the two in place now.

Cozumel, Quintana Roo - Webcams de México

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom