Save our Jewfish, aka Goliath Grouper news...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last 10 pages of this thread have been a waste of reading time. Thanks to the OP for informing us of the perils that the Goliath Grouper face. I don't have $500 for a nonresident permit, but I hope other Floridians will buy those permits and not use them.

And, by the way, who cares what a GG eats and how much? The ocean is their buffet and we take from their buffet every day and deplete their food stocks. To the fishermen: perhaps you could spend some of that fishing time and energy and cull the lionfish.

It would be appreciated if you used the accepted common name, the Goliath Grouper. Unless you are trying to inflame the issue further, which seems likely.
No. The title of the thread says Jewfish, I doubt Pete was trying to trigger your emotions. As a "marine scientist" I would have figured you would have known the name is not derogatory or antisemitic, but your attempt to make it so is duly noted. Again, just so we're clear, NO!

And, by the way, who cares what a GG eats and how much? The ocean is their buffet and we take from their buffet every day and deplete their food stocks. To the fishermen: perhaps you could spend some of that fishing time and energy and cull the lionfish.
It matters. Maybe not to you, but it matters to a lot of people. Stakeholders and fisheries managers in particular.

Stakeholders and fisheries managers in particular.
I'm a stakeholder and I don't care. I saw one grab a hogfish off of a spear. The guy barely got his spear back and it was bent. I had a hard time not laughing at the spectacle. Every time that guy tried to pull the hogfish out, the Jewfish flung him around like a flag. He had a schit load of bruising, but the Pirate Lord won the day and swam away with his plunder.
Jewfish. The Chairman does not speak for everyone.
To be inclusive, I used both names in the title, but I used my preferred name first. I only speak for myself, but I realize that many don't know what a Jewfish is.

Tony, you have no Data or science to prove your insane premise that Goliath groupers are eating everything on the reef. Either put up or shut up!
Where exactly did I post this premise? You yourself provided limited data that does indeed indicate they eat fish primarily once adult. At least the ones in the study you provided as evidence of a primarily crustacean diet you initially asserted. You can't pick and choose to delete posts or edit them at will to make yourself look better over here nor ban anyone.
I don't care either way about the opening as I killed enough before they were closed and don't see them as worth my time. If they ever open commercially I may kill some more if I get enough $ per pound.

BTW, if you can't show my post where I aver goliaths are " eating up the reef " that would be a false premise logical fallacy on your part in case you are counting the number of way your arguments have been fallacious.

@CuzzA

I generally read my text before sending, saves many of these embarrassing errors.
The UI makes it difficult on mobile. Easier to post and edit. I'm not a grammar nazi though and am not getting paid to post here. I also lack the embarrassment trait... and woke trait... Karen trait... or triggered trait. 🙂

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom