Save Bonaire's Donkeys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Show us something real that states they want make the Donkey population extinct.

It's internet sensationalism, nothing more.

"All stallions will be castrated"

That pretty much covers it.

"All" is a very specific word. They didn't say "some" they said "all". If they castrate all the males, that will be the end of the donkeys.

I just signed the petition, but even more than that, if the donkeys are gone, I'll be gone too. My wife and I love them and there's no reason to vacation someplace that makes us sad.

flots.

djtimmy77,

My point is that they are not endemic to Bonaire either, regardless of how they got there. Just because humans brought the donkeys there, doesn't mean that humans have the right to exterminate them especially since, according to the scientists involved, these donkeys may be the last remnants of an endangered species. Still, according to your nativist argument, people could also kill endangered specimens in zoos all over the world.

I don't think horses are endemic to the Americas either. I think the Spanish brought them over the Atlantic.

Irregardless,
the donkeys add to the charm of Bonaire in my opinion.
Lionfish don't add to charm, they just eat everything else on the reef.

This is a problem for the people of Bonaire to decide. I'm so sick of crusaders getting involved in things about which they know little to nothing and which do not affect them in any way. What ever happened to "Mind your own business"?

Doesn't existing anymore in our age of internet busy bodies.

Foreigners are going to a sovereign country and are going to do a study and tell them how to run things in order to keep donkeys they don't want anymore. According to everyone else Bonaire doesn't even have the budget to patrol the dive sites and stop petty crime, but they apparently are expected to have plenty of money to maintain a donkey population so tourists can ooh and ahh at them, so some tourist can come their once every 3 or 5 years and look at a donkey for 30 seconds? If Bonare doesn't want their donkeys so be it, who's business is it other than theirs? I suppose it would be fine for Canada or Mexico to meddle in the United States business? Instead of a petition to stop them from getting rid of them, if they are so precious why don't they start a petition to raise money and take them off the island and take them home and then the petitioners can deal with and pay for their upkeep out of their pockets if it means so much to them.

Mike,

The donkeys can take care of themselves just fine. They don't need any money, they only need some respect as rightful cohabitants of the island. According to your reasoning, the international community should just let Japan kill whales into extinction since what they do in their own waters is their business. Never mind that the consequences of their actions impact everyone.

T.C.,

Your analogy, as Doctorfish pointed out, doesn't hold water:

1) Donkeys are not cats or dogs which can easily hide in a hole.

2) The Donkey Sanctuary is not a pet shelter where people can go and adopt a donkey.

3) Your so-called proof is also proof of the intent to exterminate the donkey population, whether clearly stated or not. The two critical statements are in the first paragraph: "we will capture all donkeys that are still out on the streets" and "all stallions will be castrated" (emphasis added). You don't need a lawyer to put the two together.

4) Bonaire is a very small island where such project of extermination could be easily pulled off.

You may call this internet sensationalism all you want, but it doesn't change what is expressly stated in the very document you provided.
Please read what is written, all of what is written. The article refers to donkeys "on the streets". Not out in the scrubland, not out in the National Park, not out in the foothills. In the streets. If they wanted to get all the donkeys they would not have qualified the statement.

Your argument falls apart when you read what is written. The intend to control the in town populations, and like any good shelter, prevent overcrowding at their shelter by gelding, which is the proper term, all the stallion they bring in.

Do you have any proof that they want to eliminate the donkeys? I asked this once and you did not provide it. I'm asking again. If you still can't provide conclusive profit the plan to eliminate the donkeys, you have nothing to stand on. Your link is mostly false. My link does not say what you want it to.

Where is your proof?

This issue is nothing more than internet sensationalism and hyping by people who didn't research the issue or read complete articles, and then built a bunch of petition sites based on half truths, rumor and outright speculation.

Back
Top Bottom