Save-A Dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldflounder

Contributor
Reaction score
New Hampshire/Maine seacoast or Lake Winnie
# of dives
200 - 499
If you were going out on a 1 day charter by yourself and wanted to make up a save-a-dive kit for that day what would you put in it, supposing it was going inside a container the size of a new mask box. Or would you just not worry about it - trusting in your pre-dive maintenance and equipment checks.

One o-ring set with pick, a few zip-ties, a mask/fin strap, a diver's tool...

One o-ring set with pick, a few zip-ties, a mask/fin strap, a diver's tool...

After that, look at your gear for small things that might need help, add a length of bungee and/or caveline, boltsnap, duct tape (roll a length around an old plastic card), batteries and lamp for your light etc. Since you are using the container, fill it. Little zip lock bags can be used to seperate and protect items.

Watch out, once you start it is hard to stop adding and the save a dive kit can look like a small dive shop.

Bob
------------------------------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Over the years my kit has evolved from a sandwich baggy to a tool box that is 30" wide by 10x10". It weighs about 15 pounds. I normally shore dive and it goes with me whenever I go diving. I have such things in it as a first aid kit, tire inflator that attaches to bcd hose, tank pressure checker, cyclamine sticks, duct tape, multiple tools, and all the usual things you find in a kit. Many of these things I have put in because of past problems where it would have been nice to have had this gadget or that.

I am just wondering what I would take with me on a 1 day charter if anything. It seems to me that if you are on top of it and keep your gear up, put in fresh batteries/bulbs [wherever] before the dive and prepare well ----------- what else is there that can go wrong that you might be able to prepare for. I am going to assume the boat has an O2 set-up and a basic tool box.

From your experience what are those issues that you can't really prepare for and would want to have a fix for in your save-a-dive kit? Things that wouldn't be available on the boat.

To me, at the top of the list is appropriate o-rings and dental pick [or whatever works.] Then maybe a small crescent wrench to tighten down/loosen up hose fittings; spare mask/fin straps; divers tool; small spare light? if doing a double dip; sun protection/ointment for jelly stings; a little bit of duct tape; small tube of super glue/aquaseal; spare mouthpiece; a few assorted size zip ties; Id card/medical issues card; motion sickness pills if prone; tip money.

a diver's tool...
I ditched mine after the first time I had to use it on a boat. Pain in the butt. I bought a small set of wrenches from a hardware store for under $10 and a pocketknife instead. When the wrenches rust, I'll just replace them. The wrenches could easily fit in a mask box along with some o-rings and a few other odds and ends.

I don't think it will fit in your mask box, but on my last boat dive I saved my buddies' dive (and therefore mine too) because I had a spare spg in the bag. His had a leak at the spg end of the hose.

I guess it's because I'm not comfortable enough yet, but twice now I've chewed through my reg mouthpiece. I now keep several spares in my kit.

On a day trip for shore diving I still normally have enough stuff to outfit three divers and rebuild most of the regs. On a boat I'd have at a minimum 6 inch crescent wrench, set of allen wrenches (metric and imperial) a larger allen to fit the DIN converters on tanks if the sets don't have one, spare mask strap, picks, tank, DIN, hose and spg o rings, picks, a small plastic container of Christo lube. I'd also have about 6 feet of cave line, 2 or 3 ft of 1/8 or 3/16 bungee, a dozen or so zip ties, and a spare mouthpiece. All of that would easily fit in a mask box with room to spare.

And I'd have a spare reg along. Even just a first and second. Does not take up any more room really as it could go in the bag with my normal reg.

Oh and just to make it easier, a spare spool for the spg with o rings. That is the usual cause of a leaks at the SPG. The spg and hose are fine. It's the orings that someone let dry out, did not relube, or got nicked that cause leaks there.

Limiting yourself to a mask case size, you can still include n extra mouth piece and tie. But no matter how many spare parts you take, if you lack tools to install them, they are of no use, so appropriate tools are n integral part of any kit. I really file that if you can't take"everything" including all part necessary to service a bc and reg, and well as batteries for computers, spare hoses, etc., you really needn't both. You will have to trust tot he boat crew or others anyway. Gear in good repair and maintained regularly is not likely to fail, and preventive maintenance is about what you need for a one day boat excursion. When Debbie and I get away for week of dedicated diving, much of which is done on our own, we take an extensive set of parts and tools and a complete reg/alt air/ low pressure hose/ spg and computer console set up as well, which we can take parts off of if needed, or use in place of our primary gear if we don't want to take time for immediate repair or replacement. However, most places the dive shop will have tools, but not always the part needed, for repairs depending on your gear brand and age and how remote a place you are at. The same is true for liveaboard. However, they usually will have loaner or rental gear you can use if yours fails. Debbie and I just happen to like diving in the stuff we have purchased to suit our individual needs and tastes.
DivemasterDennis

I always take the entire kit & first aid box--stuff them in my "dry bag", which then bulges a lot.

My LDS had one for sale, and I get it.
It has: mask strap, fin strap, o rings, regulator mouth piece, zip ties.

I will eventually add to this as I do more.

I ditched mine after the first time I had to use it on a boat. Pain in the butt. I bought a small set of wrenches from a hardware store for under $10 and a pocketknife instead. When the wrenches rust, I'll just replace them. The wrenches could easily fit in a mask box along with some o-rings and a few other odds and ends.

I don't think it will fit in your mask box, but on my last boat dive I saved my buddies' dive (and therefore mine too) because I had a spare spg in the bag. His had a leak at the spg end of the hose.

I guess it's because I'm not comfortable enough yet, but twice now I've chewed through my reg mouthpiece. I now keep several spares in my kit.

The only equipment failure I've ever had (so far...) was a chewed through mouthpiece. I blame it on a stiff hose of the wrong length that led to me clamping down too tightly. I'm using miflex hoses now, and things are much more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom