"Save a Dive" kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pkatzman once bubbled...
... did I miss anything? .........
I also carry:
extra dry socks
bungee
surgical tubing
ab iron
knife
wax stick
talc
Extra dry gloves
Wet gloves
Aqua seal
patches for trilam, cf200, rubber
3/4" deep socket with small breaker bar
ziptie gun
O2 compatible grease
sunglasses... (it could happen)
2"x12" velcro wraps
cell phone
agua en botella

I guess because of the kind of diving we do I need to carry more equipment than most but my save a dive kit is up to two big takle boxes. Aside from tools, some of the most used items are hoses (especially inflator), o-rings, wire ties, rubber tubing.

I always carry an extra mask, fins and reg for out of town trips. Oh, I carry an extra dry suit. I'd hate to drive to Florida, Missouri or up to Lake Superior and have my diving ended by a torn neck or rist seal.

How 'bout throwing in the kitchen sink for good measure.
:froggy:

ROTFLMAO

BTW,
All the things we carry are things that we have needed at one time or another. I started out with no save a dive kit and added things as I needed them. Keep in mind much of my diving takes place where there are no dive shops and we must be self sufficient. the bottom line is that anything that can stop me from diving and cannot be replaced on location and has a reasonable chance of failure, is backed up.

If I was diving through out of a resort I wouldn't need to carry as much.

I could easily do without having some of these things in my kit, because of my equipment, preferences, and the type of diving I do.

spare fin straps - You shouldn't need these if you have spring straps.
defogger - spit works just as well, and takes up less space.
extra wt belt buckle - Probably not needed... I keep one because I have so many.
decongestant, dramamine/bonine/protien bar/bandaids/sunscreen/etc - I have a seperate first aid kit in the car that has all this stuff. I don't consider it part of my save-a-dive kit.
wrenches/toots/etc - I have an all-in-one scubatool that keeps everything I need handy, and saves a lot of space
DIN adapter - only handy if you use DIN
Spare reg - nice to have, but a bit bulky and expensive unless you already have an unused reg kicking around.
IP gauge, reg parts and hoses - great if you're accustomed to working on your regs at the beach. I'd rather do it at home in a clean environment, or have it serviced professionally.
HID battery fuses - Good if you have something that needs them.
Wingnuts - handy, but only if you dive with a backplate.
Money/phone card - good to have, but the denomination/form is up to you.

I'd add a sharp knife and some aquaseal to what you have there, but it seems otherwise like a good list. I left the remaining items below.

Of course, if you're good with duct tape, you could probably do without the mask strap, zip ties, knife straps, braided nylon, lanyard slides, and assorted connectors. :D

pkatzman once bubbled...
Looks like this is the list so far:

spare mask strap
o-rings
silicon grease
zip ties
money
plug for primary reg
batteries
spare reg mouthpiece
duct tape
mini maglight
knife straps
bolt snaps
lobster guage
#18 braided nylon
chem sticks
spare mask
pencil
sharpie
lanyard slides
rubber mallet
gear manuals

We're going to be diving through a dive shop so I'm sure I can leave out a few things on the list. It was very interesting to see people's opinions though. Thanks!

Four Calling Birds...

Three French Hens...

Two Turtle Doves....

And a

Partridge in a Pear Tree

Or for the Canadians (aka Bob and Doug)

4 Comic Books, Three french toast, two turtlenecks

and a Beer (in a tree!)

Back
Top Bottom