Saturday 10/18?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The over the counter stuff hasn't worked for me very well, so I've had to move in to the prescription stuff.

On the prescription side of things there is the 'Transderm Scop' Scopolamine patch and Scopace. The patch last about 72 hours. Scopace is a pill form of Scopolamine...the Scopace web site says it lasts for up to 8 hours, but my experience with it has been effective for about 4 hours with me. Scopace is lesser known than the patch, so your doctor may not know about it and the pharmacy may have to order it (which takes a couple of days).

Scopolamine can have side effects including dizziness/off balance feeling, dry mouth and blurry vision, so you'll want to take it on a non-diving day to see how it affects you before relying on it. The blurry vision seems to be more prone when you OD on it...like the patch falls off 1 day in to using it and you swap another one on right away...you really need to wait several hours before replacing it.

I sometimes notice a little dry mouth but beyond that I usually don't get any other side effects. I like the pill form for day trips and the patch for live-aboards.

Scopace site

Transoderm Scop patch site

If you are strongly opposed to having to medicate, then you might try a homeopathic remedy in addition to ginger pills....and do the wrist bands.

There are also dietary preventative measures you can take too...like don't go to Denny's and have a Grand Slam breakfast on the way to the morning boat trip. I've heard fatty and acidic foods (and acidic drinks) should be avoided starting the night before the trip.

I tried to use the "non drowsy" Dramamine and was completely wiped out after two tank dives in moderate water conditions. I literally couldn't keep my eyes opes about two hours after diving. I did take them both the morning of the dive though. I have never been that tired in my life. So I tried taking only one the next outting and it didn't work too well for me. I was still a little nauseous mid dive. I may try the ginger tabs next time. I need to try something soon though, Channel island trip is coming up and I dont want to be chummin' the waters for the other divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom