Saturday 10/18?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If there's one thing about anti-nausea pills/folk medicines, it's that there's no single solution for everyone.

Dramamine doesn't seem to make me sleepy (at least, no more than usual), and I've yet to try the ginger remedy (though the Mythbusters are keeping my hopes up on that one). I've also had enough good days and bad days with and without medication to make drawing a conclusion uniformly impossible. But I'm a big believer in the placebo effect, so I'll keep on truckin'.

If there's one thing about anti-nausea pills/folk medicines, it's that there's no single solution for everyone.

So I happened to be on the Monterey Express yesterday (Saturday 10/18), same ride as the previous poster in this thread.

This was my first experience with sea sickness -- I wasn't actually sick, but had to focus not to be, definitely felt queasy, and was much happier when the boat got into the shore. I was quite surprised because it didn't come on until finishing the first dive and getting back on the boat for the SI/trip to the second site. Also, the water looked reasonably calm to me.

I guess I was surprised because I did two separate boat dives in Maui (to Molokini) and I figured what's even more "open water" than Monterey is? And I didn't take anything for those dives but was fine. (I do wonder if having the pressure against the throat a 7mm with integrated hood gives, vs an unconstricted neck when wearing a 3mm with no hood has anything to do with it.)

Anyway, today's experience makes me thing I probably better take something if I want to go boat diving off of Monterey again.

What's a rationale way of deciding what a good first anti-seasickness med/remedy to try is?

What's a rationale way of deciding what a good first anti-seasickness med/remedy to try is?

My suggestion is to try working your way up the potency ladder. So, maybe start with the homebrew ginger remedies, have some well before you get to the boat. If that doesn't work, maybe go to Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine (good advice given to me is to take one dose the night before, and another dose WELL earlier than 30 minutes prior to boarding), and if those don't work, then go to the regular dramamine.

I'm still trying to get it all worked out as well, but I mainly shore dive, so I self-medicate only when the swell predictions are looking a bit rough and I know I'm going to have a long suface swim out.

Has anyone had any experience with Bonine? It's supposed to be a good OTC sea sickness remedy without side effects.

IIRC its supposed to have less side effects than Dramamine. Apparently there is a kind of dramamine that uses the same chemical. BRAND NAME(S): Antivert, Bonine, Dramamine II, Marezine

I would be curious to know if it works better with less side effects.

Has anyone had any experience with Bonine? It's supposed to be a good OTC sea sickness remedy without side effects.

I use bonine. It does make me drowsy though. No noticeable effects underwater, but I'm pretty sleepy on the car and during the boat ride.

One should be very careful about experimenting with new drugs like this... I highly recommend some "dry runs" before jumping in the water on new meds.

I use bonine. It does make me drowsy though. No noticeable effects underwater, but I'm pretty sleepy on the car and during the boat ride.

<googles cheetos picture>

I use Bonine on long bumpy boat trips. I've never felt drowsy from it and it seems to work.

<googles cheetos picture>

rhlee + bonine =
IMG_1151.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom