Sattaheep dive outfits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure the original poster was definitively talking about workers on tourist visa. These constant changes also have a distinct effect on the "long-term" tourist who for many years had a stable method of spending multiple months in the country.

From somewhere like Koh Tao, which is a long way from the border, the 15day rule has a profound effect on budget travellers wanting to spend a while in Thailand. After their 2 months are up they have to get to an embassy and pay (the amnesty is over i think as of the 4th of June) for the next 2 months or do the 15 day thing (for a maximum of 2 times now I hear???) or fly into Thailand to get the 30 days. I think a lot of these travellers will just head off into other neighbouring countries in sheer frustration.

I am not saying that the Thai government is not entitled to implement changes nor that their policies are particularly unfair only that these constant changes which seem to lean towards a tightening of rules do not do the country any favours in increasing tourism during a time when Thailand is heading towards economic trouble. (Thai exports are down 25%+ this quarter which is the 2nd worst in Asia. Japan being the worst with a 35% decline)

These constant changes also have a distinct effect on the "long-term" tourist who for many years had a stable method of spending multiple months in the country.

I don't think the Thai Government is particularly interested in keeping "low-budget long-term tourists" (Thais like to call them "Cheap Charlie's") in their country. I think they prefer to get the "big-spending short-time tourists" in their country who fly in, stay a few weeks in a very nice hotel, do all the tours and spend lots of money.

If that is the case, why are there all the thousands of condo's being built in and around Pattaya at the moment, they wont sell them to someone coming for a 2 week holiday.
And again unfortunately many of the short term tourists are now opting to go to other countries than Thailand because it is so much cheaper.
Just hope the exchange rate improves a little, that may encourage some more people to come back. But while the baht is linked to the yen, which is very strong at the moment, I cant see significant increases in the near future.

Also around Pattaya now a lot of the long term 'cheap charlie's' are struggling to keep their heads above water.
Again due to a combination of factors, increasing costs in Thailand, Low exchange rates and low interest rates for people with investments.
I think if things dont change in the near future a number of these people will be going back to their homelands.
Also around the Pattaya area there seems to be an increase in petty crime recently, is this linked to the lack of tourists/shortage of money?
Lets just hope things improve for everyone soon.

If that is the case, why are there all the thousands of condo's being built in and around Pattaya at the moment, they wont sell them to someone coming for a 2 week holiday.

In my dictionary people who come to Thailand and purchase a (millions worth of Baht) condominium are not defined as "long-term low-budget" tourists.

When I think of "long-term low-budget" tourists I tend to think more about the (fairly) young, mostly European, SEA on a shoe-string reading, bottled water carrying, fisherman's pants and flip-flop wearing backpackers with relatively limited funds who spends months on a beach in a cheap hut enjoying the sun, sea and other backpackers company and possibly try to do foolish things like climbing a coconut tree or try to figure themselves a bit better out by joining a meditation retreat in a forest temple.
That's by the way exactly the way I spend my first year in Thailand....

Believe me, around pattaya there's lots of the 'cheap charlie' types in their 50's, 60's and older living here on very limited budgets.
In a number of cases they are probably less responsible than your average 18 year old backpacker.
You dont tend to see too many of the backpacker types around Pattaya, nothing really for them here.
With regard to all the condo's being built, there is so much property available around here already, I dont know who is going to buy all the new ones that should be completed in the near future. I just can't understand why so many are still being built when there are already so many already complete and left empty.

Believe me, around pattaya there's lots of the 'cheap charlie' types in I just can't understand why so many are still being built when there are already so many already complete and left empty.

Property development is a long drawn out process, with which the building phase is the final part. Most of the condo projects will have been going 3-5 years now, making it hard to just stop building (and hopefully getting a return).

Property development is a long drawn out process, with which the building phase is the final part. Most of the condo projects will have been going 3-5 years now, making it hard to just stop building (and hopefully getting a return).

Cant agree with that, there are numerous that are only just in the process of starting, In one case just off third road they are only last week clearing ground to start yet another building project.

Cant agree with that, there are numerous that are only just in the process of starting, In one case just off third road they are only last week clearing ground to start yet another building project.

Yeah like I said starting the construction phase which is the last phase of the development process, but the only one which is visable unless you are closely involved.

Feasbility studies, planning, enviromental assessment, cost planning, financing, design and procurement will have been completed prior. If the construction contracts have been let then it can be quite costly to suspend or stop the project.

Remember that the developer only gets money when each stage of the development is completed.

Yeah like I said starting the construction phase which is the last phase of the development process, but the only one which is visable unless you are closely involved.

Feasbility studies, planning, enviromental assessment, cost planning, financing, design and procurement will have been completed prior. If the construction contracts have been let then it can be quite costly to suspend or stop the project.

Remember that the developer only gets money when each stage of the development is completed.

I am fully aware of what you are talking about, I used to run a NDT testing company which was related mainly to the construction industry. And yes, the pre construction costs whilst it can be a 'large' sum of money are miniscule compared to the actual cost of construction, and maintaining/keeping empty buildings. Much less than shelving a project for a few months/years.
And with a lot of projects in Thailand staged payments by the end user are used by the developer to finance the construction, there are certain cases that I know of that do not currently have enough investors to finance the completion, the developer concerned is hoping for further invvestment/purchasers to come forward.
where will that leave the developer and indeed the existing investors/purchasers?
These are only my observations, I am not trying to start an argument.

Back
Top Bottom