Sasebo, Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brew77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well, I've been in Sasebo since January, so I'll give my report. I have dove five times since arriving here at the beginning of January. The dive season starts up around April. I am told some people dive in the winter time but most wait till it warms up a bit.

My first dive was with the instructors from the Navy base. We went by boat to a wreck. The wreck was laying on its side in about 164' of water. The shallowest part of the wreck was at 50'. There is a buoy that marks the wreck so shipping can steer clear, but this makes it easy for divers to find as well. The wreck is a big Japanese merchant ship. After we descended, we swam along the side of the wreck, which would have been the main deck, at about 73'. Me and my dive buddy decided to just do a survey of the wreck since it was the first time either of us had dove this site. I was told that visibility was in transition at this time, it was about 15' or so. Water temp was still a little chilly at 64F. Overall it was a good first dive in Sasebo, I will be making more trips out there. I've found a dive buddy with a boat, so there will be more to come on this wreck.

The second and third dives were beach dives at a beach near Nagasaki called Oseto beach. The beach was a nice protected cove with rock formations and small canyons to swim threw. The dive was pretty shallow, so we could stay down for a really long time. Sea life in this area was minimal I thought and after a while it got a bit boring. But we did find some holes in the rocks that I shined my light into, but didn't see anything worth writing home about. Overall, these were fun little dives and it allowed me to test out some new gear. Oseto Beach does have facilities to wash your gear and to shower up after your dive. I will go back to this spot, next time I want to try going further out.

The fourth and fifth dives I did here in Sasebo were also beach dives at a very popular beach in town called Shirahama beach. Again, these dives were pretty shallow as well, but there was more to see at Shirahama. There were schools of fish, puffer fish, rock fish and a lot of Jelly fish. Shirahama was a bit bigger then Oseto with two different entry points. One down side to Shirahama was there were no facilities to wash your gear, at least we could find them. Overall, they were good dives and I will be making a lot of trips there, since its only 5 minutes from my house. I also want to go further out next time to see if there is a drop off or something.

Overall, I'd say the diving is good here in Sasebo. It may not be the greatest, but it felt good to be back in the water after making the move out here. Now it's time to find more spots and explore the wreck more. I'd also like to take the ferry to the Goto islands, I here there's good diving over there. I think my stay here in Sasebo is going to be awesome and I'm looking forward to the next dive.

Glad you are finding good diving there. We visited a few years ago and could not find any charter outfits, but did finally get hooked up with a private instructor through the MWR folks.

Nice memories!

I think I read your post when I was searching for info on diving Sasebo. There isn't a whole lot of info on the web. It's not one of those places that people think of when they think SCUBA diving. You just have to get out there and knowing someone with a boat helps out a lot to. Which I do, so I'm good.

Were those beach dives at spots known for diving?

I was diving at Kami-Amakusa about a week ago, which is maybe something like 70km south east beeline from Sasebo (bit far/inconvenient for you to drive there though I'd think), and there was actually quite a lot to see. Visibilty was crap (<15ft) due to bad weather the day before, but we didn't plan to go deep anyways, max. was maybe 15ft, average around 8ft, as we were looking for a white sea horse that was seen there before in the shallows. We found the white sea horse, plus a bunch of others, different types of flatfish, sea hares, many different colored nudibranchs and best of all, a blue ringed octopus.

Though that was at a specific spot known to divers, and the guide/instructor said that if you go to a random place at the coast chances are that you won't find anything.

Usually the dive shops over here (Kumamoto) go further south, to the southern part of Amakusa, or even further all the way to Kagoshima. Or they do weekend tours and go to Shikoku.

Yes, the beach dives are known to divers. There was a quite a lot of life at Shirahama. We heard talk of an Octopus that hangs out there but had no luck finding it. I'm not sure on all the name of the species we saw, I just got here myself. So I'm still learning my way around. We saw a lot of colorful fish, some that blended in to there back ground. Also saw some nudabranchs as well. Visibility was 15 to 20 ft and our depth on both beach dives was 25 ft.

Where do you live at? I plan on venturing out of the area to checkout different dive sites. I'd like to make it down to Kagoshima for a weekend at some point.

I saw a bunch of octopi on that day, though the blue ringed one was kinda special :)

I live near Kumamoto. As I'm just by myself, I go with a dive shop, which is kinda expensive. They also only do two dives a day, usually something between 40 to 50 minutes, not longer (even if there's plenty of air left). And as it still takes a full day, I just don't go diving that often. There are plenty of other things I enjoy doing as well.

Hello. I read your post about diving in Sasebo. thank you. it was very informative. do you still have contacts in Sasebo for scuba diving. I am headed out there May 2024 and would like to connect with any divers or dive shop recommendations. I'll be bringing reg, computer, bcd, and fins. just need weights, tanks, and suit (if necessary). any advice is greatly appreciated!

Glad you are finding good diving there. We visited a few years ago and could not find any charter outfits, but did finally get hooked up with a private instructor through the MWR folks.

Nice memories!
Do you have the contact info for the instructor or MWR staff you would share?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom