Sargassum update?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcpowell

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife is on Instagram, and saw the below image earlier today.

3191C801-FC41-451B-8803-34C3C842C473.jpeg

And this has me wondering if anyone has a current report. If so, could you please post your findings?

Attachments

• 1661210102236.jpeg
    1661210102236.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 34
Are you looking for the source of what you have? Here is RedSargazo (sargassum net) - Red de Monitoreo del Sargazo de Quintana Roo. I don't know what they do for instagram - no account. The one you posted looks like today. What other info are you looking for? Maybe eyewitness for today?

The map today is fairly accurate for at least the west side. There is a little offshore in the currents but not alot coming onto the shore. I would say with winds now, I would expect some sargassum on the east side. Have not checked or heard in awhile.

It will change depending on currents and wind direction.

Even when the sargassum is heavy on the Eastern/wild side, it usually has very little effect on the Western side of the island -- which is where all of the hotels are except for 1 (Ventanas al Mar), and also where 95+% of the diving is done.

Thank you.

Yes. I was looking for eyewitness reports. I should have been more specific. Especially for the East side. We’ll be there next week, and we all enjoy afternoon excursions to the East side. When there is a lot of sargassum, it puts a damper on our fun.

FYI. I’m here and the graphic in post #1 is accurate.

i was there Friday and no sargassum to be seen on the west side at Villa ALDORA

DAVE DILLEHAY

Back
Top Bottom