Sargassum on 7 mile beach ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I am looking to return to Seven Mile Beach in July.

I know there are some fellow GC lovers on here and was wondering if anyone can share information on the sargassum situation.

The folks at the condo complex have told me there isn't barely any there however I wanted to check with the board.

Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I just looked at the 7MB webcams and the shoreline looked absolutely clear. I was on LC a few weeks ago and there was a fair amount of buildup on the south shore at that time but not the north.

Jumping in....headed there in two weeks, so this is GREAT to hear! Thanks for the report!

Just returned from GC today. Most of the sargassum is on the east end. We did encounter some diving the north wall, and just a little bit in the West Bay/7 Mile area, but not a full on bloom. Just the normal wash up your find most places.

The Sargassum is primarily an issue on east-facing beaches from Florida through the Caribbean due to trade winds/currents pushing it from the Sargasso Sea in late Spring/Summer. West-facing beaches are fine (7 Mile in GC, Jamaica, Caribbean-facing beaches on islands, etc)

Beaches impacted include The Atlantic / east sides of Caribbean islands, South Florida (Jupiter to Miami, and some Keys), Yucatan (Tulum, Playa, Cancun, Isla), Punta Cana, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom