Sargasso.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A buddy of mine just got off a cruise to Cozumel and Costa Maya. He had a great time snorkeling in Coz with no sargassum, and said the beaches were full of seaweed in Costa Mays.

He stayed on the west side of Cozumel, I'll wager. It's the east side that's inundated with the stuff.

He stayed on the west side of Cozumel, I'll wager. It's the east side that's inundated with the stuff.

I doubt any off the cruises take people to the east side to snorkel. He didn't remember the reef name that he snorkeled, but I was wondering if it was down south - Columbia Shallows.

Any recent reports?
We were in Q Roo earlier this month. The beach where we were staying in PDC smelled bad, had sargassum in abundance, and the water was a dark and ugly brown. Cancun was better. Tulum had some decent beach areas, although it wasn't as epic as a couple of years ago. West facing Isla Mujeres had a some gorgeous beach. West facing Cozumel was OK. If you're on the Riviera Maya for the sparking and cool white beach sand, and the astonishing blue water, you may need to travel around the coast to find a decent spot. We had a rental car, so that was possible for us. I don't think Mexico will solve this problem with a few wheelbarrows and rakes.

We were in Q Roo earlier this month. The beach where we were staying in PDC smelled bad, had sargassum in abundance, and the water was a dark and ugly brown. Cancun was better. Tulum had some decent beach areas, although it wasn't as epic as a couple of years ago. West facing Isla Mujeres had a some gorgeous beach. West facing Cozumel was OK. If you're on the Riviera Maya for the sparking and cool white beach sand, and the astonishing blue water, you may need to travel around the coast to find a decent spot. We had a rental car, so that was possible for us. I don't think Mexico will solve this problem with a few wheelbarrows and rakes.

Unfortunately, with the rising seawater temperatures and the increasing agricultural runoff from Africa and South America, this overabundance of sargassum is likely to be the new normal. It may be an insoluble problem.

Sargassum is definitely insoluble, but I think you mean unsolvable.
in·sol·u·ble
/inˈsälyəb(ə)l/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
  1. 1.
    impossible to solve.
    "the problem is not insoluble"
    synonyms: unsolvable, insolvable, unable to be solved, without a solution, unanswerable, unresolvable; More

in·sol·u·ble
/inˈsälyəb(ə)l/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
  1. 1.
    impossible to solve.
    "the problem is not insoluble"
    synonyms: unsolvable, insolvable, unable to be solved, without a solution, unanswerable, unresolvable; More

Well, I learned something new today. I've always and only heard it used in the second definition.

2.(of a substance) incapable of being dissolved.
"once dry, the paints become insoluble in water"
synonyms: not soluble, indissoluble, incapable of dissolving
"these minerals are relatively insoluble"

I'm surprised this is the second definition, and not the first.

Well, I learned something new today. I've always and only heard it used in the second definition.

2.(of a substance) incapable of being dissolved.
"once dry, the paints become insoluble in water"
synonyms: not soluble, indissoluble, incapable of dissolving
"these minerals are relatively insoluble"

I'm surprised this is the second definition, and not the first.
I have a degree in Chemistry, so I know that usage as well. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom