Sardine Run in California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go back 20, maybe even just 10 years, and we really didn't see Blues & Humpbacks this far south. Now, they're a regular occurrence.

Maybe not 20 years ago, but I was diving San Miguel Island 10 years ago and there were a number of blues and humpbacks then. I've even read that one of the largest aggregations of blues in the world is off the outer northern islands.

By "this far south", I meant off off LA. They've been regular visitors to the Northern Channel Islands for a number of years.

Tracy, you are correct (from what I understand) that the Humpbacks and Blues (not so much the Greys - that's a migration thing) follow the sardines. And over the last decade, as sardines have become scarcer and scarcer, the whales have ranged further and further south to find food. Go back 20, maybe even just 10 years, and we really didn't see Blues & Humpbacks this far south. Now, they're a regular occurrence.

Ahhh I thought so... I've seen video from the Monterey area up here, that shows a grey whale. I think the sighting might have been at Point Lobos or something like that, but not exactly sure. The video was posted here on SB, so I would think it could be found for proof, since it was a few years ago.

Don't know too much about the south waters... so can't speak to much there.

You guys are getting blues down there? Wow... make me jealous why don't ya. We usually get the humpbacks up here in the Spring, but not for sure on that... that's why I thought it would be good for a Norcal expert to chime in.. @Akimbo might have a little more information to back things up there. If not, he might be able to point us in the right direction.

I figured since you took the time to find it, I should at least give it a peek, but all I get is BLANK PAGE with the link.

And to be clear about Greys, I have no doubt you find them in Monterey. My original point about the migration was that they go from Alaska to Mexico to give birth, and then back up to Alaska with the calves. (I believe it's the longest known regular animal migration in the world.) It's been going on for decades and decades.

The Blues & Humpbacks have only relatively recently (last 10-15 yars) expanded their range to include SoCal waters, south of the Northern Channel Islands. And the prevailing theory is that it's food-related. As food/fish-stocks become scarcer, they come further south to feed.

I figured since you took the time to find it, I should at least give it a peek, but all I get is BLANK PAGE with the link.

And to be clear about Greys, I have no doubt you find them in Monterey. My original point about the migration was that they go from Alaska to Mexico to give birth, and then back up to Alaska with the calves. (I believe it's the longest known regular animal migration in the world.) It's been going on for decades and decades.

The Blues & Humpbacks have only relatively recently (last 10-15 yars) expanded their range to include SoCal waters, south of the Northern Channel Islands. And the prevailing theory is that it's food-related. As food/fish-stocks become scarcer, they come further south to feed.

Thanks Ken on the feedback on the link... I'll see what I can do to get that fixed up. I checked it out myself and it came up with the blank page error as well.

Thanks Ken on the feedback on the link... I'll see what I can do to get that fixed up. I checked it out myself and it came up with the blank page error as well.
I got a link to the thread that was mentioned above, but that was all I could find. It's the last post in the thread that has the video that I mentioned previously.

Here's the link: Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

I believe it's the longest known regular animal migration in the world.) It's been going on for decades and decades.

Actually the Arctic tern has a much longer migration going from the Arctic to the Antarctic and back each year

Don't gray whales feed mostly on amphipods? I don't think they care much for sardines.
In Monterey Bay, humpbacks and blue whales probably eat as much if not more anchovies and krill than sardines. The grays as mentioned above, are mostly just passing through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom