Santi Elite + flexibility for reaching posts on twinset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Long story short, my current / first drysuit makes it virtually impossible to reach my left post - probably thanks to the fact that the dump valve was installed by another party after manufacture (it was originally on the cuff), and the extra material affects dexterity. Physically my arms / shoulders are the same in flexibility. It's a somewhat poorly-made, not great suit so I'm on the market for an update.

Those who dive doubles with the Elite +, how are valve drills? My guess is for a well-tailored suit it's fine, but I have a bit of trauma from the issues with my current suit so I'm almost tempted to go with an E Motion or DUI FLX. But ultimately I'll be doing at least some wreck dives, eventual cave so investing in durability makes sense. As long as I can reach my posts OK on the Elite + I'm sure it'll be fine, which is why I'm coming here to see what others have to say.

In
Long story short, my current / first drysuit makes it virtually impossible to reach my left post - probably thanks to the fact that the dump valve was installed by another party after manufacture (it was originally on the cuff), and the extra material affects dexterity. Physically my arms / shoulders are the same in flexibility. It's a somewhat poorly-made, not great suit so I'm on the market for an update.

Those who dive doubles with the Elite +, how are valve drills? My guess is for a well-tailored suit it's fine, but I have a bit of trauma from the issues with my current suit so I'm almost tempted to go with an E Motion or DUI FLX. But ultimately I'll be doing at least some wreck dives, eventual cave so investing in durability makes sense. As long as I can reach my posts OK on the Elite + I'm sure it'll be fine, which is why I'm coming here to see what others have to say.
I have an Elite. They don’t stretch at all so proper fit is key. Mine was made to measure but had to be redone so I could reach the valves. Bottom line is extra sleeve length and width helps. Then you need a flexible well fitting undergarment. For me, the Santi BZ400 sucks for reaching valves, even with the 200g sleeves, compared to my Fourth Element Arctics and such. Once again sleeve width plays a key role here, my BZ400 is just too tight in the elbow area. I can reach the valves with it on but it’ll way more difficult.

My only experience with this exact dry suit was a loaner on my last day of fundies as my zipper started leaking significantly on the 3rd day.
I didn't have any issues (though the exhaust valve was a standard placement on the suit, so I am not sure how different it is than on yours). My undergarment is the 4th Element Halo that I like a fair bit. I was able to do the valve drills, despite having compromised mobility due to rotator cuff injuries in the past to both shoulders.

I don't know if this helps at all.

So I've had the Elite + for a little over 3 years now, and haven't had any issue. I dive it year round in New England, and valve drills are relatively easy, even in mid-winter training at the pond in the thickest underlayers and glove liners I will wear. In winter, I dive a Santi Flex 190 (one piece) with another three layers underneath (2 base layers of synthetic and 250 merino plus a winter cycling jacket). This undergarment is not normally designed to dive in water this cold, but I prefer it to my thicker undergarment, and despite adding multiple additional underlayers the flexibility remains good. Sometimes I also use a heated LM shirt as one of the underlayers for longer dives. Valve drills are no issue at all in this setup.
A couple points:
- I didn't get made to measure, and only used the 5 mods allowed from a standard size, and it fits well I think.
- I have a neck ring system for silicone seals.
- my undergarment is in theory a little short for me. I am 189cm tall, and the size guide for size MLL (which I have) is for divers up to 186cm.

So while I don't have any problem with drills, getting a full made-to-measure suit, 2 piece undergarment of longer size, and removing the neck ring could even make things easier. If I get a second suit, I will get a glued neoprene neck seal to improve flexibility around the shoulder area. I'm glad I got the ring system for the current suit to fix broken seals on the spot, but with a second suit + backup, I would definitely not get that to improve comfort and flex as I don't have broad shoulders and the ring, while still ok for me, does restrict a bit.
Also, I would def not order any thinner or more flexible fabric. If ordering another Santi, I would get the same model as I would be too concerned about wear and leaks on the thinner/more flexible suits.

Hope this helps a bit with your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom