Santi did it again....New Elite Plus Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I would chime in on this topic ;-)

A bit of background in my drysuit experiences: I have a DUI CF200 (backzip), I used to have a first gen SANTI E-motion (2012), I have a DUI FLX and now a new SANTI Elite+, also dived a bit with a SANTI ELITE.

- CF200: My first real drysuit. Dived if close to 500 dives (2006-2011). It's still rock solid and the only suit I never had to repair. Used a lot in north sea wreckdiving. No longer dive it, because can only fit into it with light undergarments + the shoulder mobility is not great with the back zip and the lack of length (no telescopic torso).
-Santi Emotion: Bought in 2012 with the first gen plastic Tizip. Used a lot in caves and wrecks, plus shore dives. Unfortunately stolen in 2015 on a cave trip. Loved the flexibility, the pockets, scrotch strap. Less in love with the zip (started leaking very fast, and replaced very fast 2x), the flexboots (leaks under the sole, in the end had to coat the inner sole with aquasure) and pinholes.. just looking at the suit was enough to give holes. Granted I'm not the most gentle with my material ;-). About 300 dives on the suit.
- DUI FLX: After my Emotion was stolen I bought a DUI FLX (wanted stronger material... and was looking at both Elite and FLX). Suit was made to measure, but the fit was absolutely horrible. The size of the arms (diameter) was about 3x my arm size. I looked like a gorrila in it. Also means that deflating underwater was a bit more of an issue, because the air would collect in the uge arms instead of going straight to the deflator valve. What I loved was the solid material, the boots, deflation valve position, the metal zip (after my previous experiences with the Tizip). What I didn't love apart from the sizing where the pockets (santi much better), flimzy scrotch strap, zipseals. Dived it from 2015 until now, about 400 dives on it.

-SANTI Elite+: No dives on it yet (covid lockdown), but I've just taken ownership and will report after a couple of dives (in different circumstances). The FLX will be relegated to reserve suit. I wanted to replace because of a zip replacement that was badly done, almost ruining the suit. It's been resolved and still a good suit, and I'll keep it in rotation because it's still going strong (besided a pinhole here and there, color fading, etc).

So the Elite + : Comparing to the Emotion and the FLX:
- Material seems solid. It's definately different material then the Emotion. The traditional strongpoints of Santi are still there (pockets, scrotch strap, flexibility and fit). Went again with a plastic zip, because they changed the model and it should no longer be a problem. Flexsoles, thought long and hard on that one (going for socks and boots vs soles), because I know they will wear out in time, but comparing them to the model of the last year they seem to have changed again. Also the material on the outside of the cuff rings (to replace seals) has been changed on the new suits (the last models the rubbercover that has no function but just covering the rings would start to deteriorate a bit).

Anyway will see after a couple of wreck dives.

I thought I would chime in on this topic ;-)

A bit of background in my drysuit experiences: I have a DUI CF200 (backzip), I used to have a first gen SANTI E-motion (2012), I have a DUI FLX and now a new SANTI Elite+, also dived a bit with a SANTI ELITE.

- CF200: My first real drysuit. Dived if close to 500 dives (2006-2011). It's still rock solid and the only suit I never had to repair. Used a lot in north sea wreckdiving. No longer dive it, because can only fit into it with light undergarments + the shoulder mobility is not great with the back zip and the lack of length (no telescopic torso).
-Santi Emotion: Bought in 2012 with the first gen plastic Tizip. Used a lot in caves and wrecks, plus shore dives. Unfortunately stolen in 2015 on a cave trip. Loved the flexibility, the pockets, scrotch strap. Less in love with the zip (started leaking very fast, and replaced very fast 2x), the flexboots (leaks under the sole, in the end had to coat the inner sole with aquasure) and pinholes.. just looking at the suit was enough to give holes. Granted I'm not the most gentle with my material ;-). About 300 dives on the suit.
- DUI FLX: After my Emotion was stolen I bought a DUI FLX (wanted stronger material... and was looking at both Elite and FLX). Suit was made to measure, but the fit was absolutely horrible. The size of the arms (diameter) was about 3x my arm size. I looked like a gorrila in it. Also means that deflating underwater was a bit more of an issue, because the air would collect in the uge arms instead of going straight to the deflator valve. What I loved was the solid material, the boots, deflation valve position, the metal zip (after my previous experiences with the Tizip). What I didn't love apart from the sizing where the pockets (santi much better), flimzy scrotch strap, zipseals. Dived it from 2015 until now, about 400 dives on it.

-SANTI Elite+: No dives on it yet (covid lockdown), but I've just taken ownership and will report after a couple of dives (in different circumstances). The FLX will be relegated to reserve suit. I wanted to replace because of a zip replacement that was badly done, almost ruining the suit. It's been resolved and still a good suit, and I'll keep it in rotation because it's still going strong (besided a pinhole here and there, color fading, etc).

So the Elite + : Comparing to the Emotion and the FLX:
- Material seems solid. It's definately different material then the Emotion. The traditional strongpoints of Santi are still there (pockets, scrotch strap, flexibility and fit). Went again with a plastic zip, because they changed the model and it should no longer be a problem. Flexsoles, thought long and hard on that one (going for socks and boots vs soles), because I know they will wear out in time, but comparing them to the model of the last year they seem to have changed again. Also the material on the outside of the cuff rings (to replace seals) has been changed on the new suits (the last models the rubbercover that has no function but just covering the rings would start to deteriorate a bit).

Anyway will see after a couple of wreck dives.

Bumping this back up for an update on how well your ELite is holding up?

Mine is still rock solid and dry after 110 dives.

Mine is still rock solid and dry after 110 dives.

What kind of diving are you doing?

How does it compare to the other suits you've used?

Cheers :cheers:

FWIW, I've been diving a CLX450 in Monterey but just picked up a lightly used E.Lite +. I have to have some mods made but my preliminary impression is I really like the suit. My only concern is long term durability. I am not nice to my gear and the E.Lite is way thinner than the CLX; I'll report back when I actually get some time in it.

How do you like it and how does it hold up please?

I got my CLX used about 3 years ago and it's been rock solid. I have about 250 dives on it, mostly here in Monterey but I've used it in the caves of Florida and Mexico, as well as on a couple of wrecks in San Diego and SE Florida. It has taken a decent amount of abuse and I am not nice to it. That said, it's thick and a bit heavy. I don't have enough experience with other suits to have reference points for comparisons. I Just picked up an E.Lite so I can have a back up when one needs work. The Santi is clearly more flexible. I inquired in this thread cause I am wondering about the long term durability of the Santi vs the CLX.

To try and answer your question directly, it is tough but a bit more mobility would be nice.

Hopefully in another year or so and some dives with the ELite I can provide a useful comparison.

- DUI FLX: After my Emotion was stolen I bought a DUI FLX (wanted stronger material... and was looking at both Elite and FLX). Suit was made to measure, but the fit was absolutely horrible. The size of the arms (diameter) was about 3x my arm size. I looked like a gorrila in it. Also means that deflating underwater was a bit more of an issue, because the air would collect in the uge arms instead of going straight to the deflator valve.

Same. Ordered a MTM FLX Extreme and the fit is: Absolutely. *******. Horrible. Like yours, the arms are droopy like a wingsuit. The rest of the top: without undergarments I could probably get a set of double 100's in the suit with me (and could probably easily wear 3 BZ400s if Santi made a top-only version); legs are a few inches too long but so snug that I can just barely squeeze FE Arctics with a thin base layer in them.

It's actually pretty uncomfortable to dive as well because there's so many bunches of fabric around my waist that they dig in to my side/hips. I'm pretty pissed and won't be buying anything DUI ever again. Talking to people about, this sounds like it's a trend with them. If they have no effective QA and are selling what look like arts+crafts project drysuits (in addition to the botched size: uneven stitching and trim, pockets and knee pads are not level between L and R sides, and the amount of arm droop isn't even between L and R either) then the price should reflect that. That's not what I'd call a "premium drysuit".

Oh, and it's never been dry (~50 dives), the zipper (plastic, but my third plastic and the other two work fine) leaks a significant amount of water from the lower stop. Finally remedied that with a massive amount of silicone grease on it, which then gets everywhere on the outside of suit when donning/doffing.

Ordering a MTM E.lite+ and Flex190 to replace it. Moral of the story, if you're wavering between Santi and DUI, just get the Santi. The other selling point (at least around here) of "DUI is local so service will be faster" doesn't matter anyway because they seem to always have 6-10+ week turnaround anyway.

A pic of my Santi Elite+ while diving in the Arctic last month (the other pic is my profile pic). This suit has been in California waters (low 60s F) to the Arctic and Antarctica (low to mid 30s F) and it has held up GREAT! I love the fit and how well it works with thick heated undergarments as well as thinner "typical" undergarments. I have no regrets upgrading from my DUI FLX Extreme which never really fit well. So far, the Santi has exceeded my expectations in durability and comfort.

Attachments

• Bob F ice 1.JPG
    Bob F ice 1.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 42
I got my Santi Elite+ back and now have a couple of dives on it so I can compare with my DUI CLX450.

The most noticeable difference is in the weight and flexibility. The Santi is WAY lighter and mobility is better. After diving, the Santi dries much faster. This is to be expected based off of the fabric choices but the difference is noticeable. If the Santi material holds up as well as the CLX450 I will be extremely pleased. That said, I doubt it will , the CLX450 is extremely rugged.

Both of my suits are off the shelf sizes but the fit of the Santi is better, YMMV. The construction quality of the Santi seems higher to me. It’s the little things like the consistency of the stitching, how trim panels are arranged, and overall design. I’m giving it to Santi.

I’m really liking the Santi over the DUI. I’ve heard a lot of horror stories lately about DUIs quality control. I am Californian, and DUI is local to me so I don’t say this lightly, right now I think Santi is the clear winner. Only time will tell WRT long term durability.

...I’ve heard a lot of horror stories lately about DUIs quality control. I am Californian, and DUI is local to me...
Same (experiencing it firsthand). Currently working through some major issues with them (QA, warranty, and customer service), doesn't sound promising but I'll report back on the resolution whether it's a total win or an abysmal fail!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom