Santa Fe River Cleanup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomhauburn

Registered
Reaction score
Subject: Santa Fe River Cleanup

Current Problems Inc./Adopt-A-River Invites Divers and Snorkelers to a River Cleanup

When: November 4 ( Saturday ) 9:00 AM
Where: Meet at Karst Production/Karst Environmental Svcs. Office on
County Road 340 (just west of Ginnie Springs Road)
Contact: Pete Butt 386-454-3556 (O) 386-454-2147 (H) (call anytime)
KES@atlantic.net

Current Problems Inc./Adopt-A-River invites divers and snorkelers (and paddlers and anyone else interested) to a river clean-up on the Santa Fe River. The targeted section is from the Gilchrist County Landing (downstream of Ginnie Springs) to the Rapids/Shoals, about 3/4 of a river mile overall. This beautiful area has been heavily impacted (lots of trash) by tubers and others over the past several years.

Karst Environmental Svcs. is supporting this effort, and we will have workboats and lots of canoers and kayakers supporting us. We will have three points of access to the river, in addition to the boats. We plan a half-day effort, and will have hot food and beverages for lunch when done. We plan to have free air fill chips/coupons from Ginnie Springs and Cave Excursions for those diving.

The water has been staying very clear, and shouldn't be too cold; full suits and hoods will be best, and perhaps a pair of garden gloves. If you have them, please bring dive flags and catch bags. (Note: all SCUBA divers must be "certified".)

This is a chance to use you diving skills for a good cause and some
good fellowship. Please contact Pete for more details and further information if you're interested. More information will be posted as we get nearer to the date. The Santa Fe River needs your help.

This is good to hear. A bunch of us are doing a cleanup dive in the Santa Fe in the Ginnie Springs area the weekend before.

I would like to make this one as well, but I don't think that I will be able to.

It is great that we as divers are getting together to help reverse some of the negative impact that humans have on this beautiful river.

scubafool:
This is good to hear. A bunch of us are doing a cleanup dive in the Santa Fe in the Ginnie Springs area the weekend before.

I would like to make this one as well, but I don't think that I will be able to.

It is great that we as divers are getting together to help reverse some of the negative impact that humans have on this beautiful river.

I appreciate everyone that helps out. I did four half day cleanups with some cave divers and cave dive instructors and it was amazing just how much we pulled out of the River. The sections we did were on Ginnie's property. The area I posted about is just below Ginnie and has not been hit I suspect for a long time. The River is very clear right now and its an interesting dive. Since the waters low the shallow parts are a bit like rock climbing only not vertical. You hold on for dear life to a crack and try and stuff your bag, The deeper spots you can get out of current. I enjoyed the cleanups I went to and hope you have fun also. I'll be at the rental department at Ginnie on Sunday the weekend your there.
Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom