Santa Barbara Island 1/22/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jan- I noticed you posted elsewhere about diving Catalina yesterday. Does that mean the Great Escape didn't get to Santa Barbara?

Dr. Bill

Hi Dr. Bill,

We did not make it to Santa Barbara due to large swell model. Everyone was informed in advanced. We dove the front side of Catalina. Initially, we attempted to go to the Valiant, however, there was a boat that was 'anchored' over it. From there, we went to Little Farnsworth. There was a bit of a current going, but once we dropped down, things went well. Viz was excellent. I spotted a HUGE Sunflower Starfish. My first in Catalina (I usually see these in Santa Barbara). The second spot we hit was Torquoa Springs. Viz was less than Little Farnsworth, but still a nice dive. The last spot was Hen Rock, which was nice as well with pretty good viz overall. I found an old bottle, so was excited about that when I returned to the boat.

The group of divers were great. No one really complained about us not going to Santa Barbara. I think everyone was going through diving withdrawls. I think the spots that were chosen were good...something for everyone from OW to advanced.

Hope to see you soon, perhaps at the clean up!

Interesting- wasn't aware of any significant swell from here but a dive friend said Cortez Bank had 30 ft recently! Not much protection at Santa Barbara.

Interesting that you spotted a sunflower star... unusual for this end of the island (or anywhere else here that I dive regularly). They are a cooler water species much more abundant in the northern islands.

Let's hope conditions are great this weekend.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom