Sanibel/Captiva Island snorkling, diving, fishing spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissTwisties

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all! :)

Hubby and I are going on vacation at the end of April on Captiva Island, we're gonna stay at a Hotel in Fort Myers, right at the entrance of Sanibel Island. We are newbies at diving, we are suppose to take the class at the end of March here in Massachusetts. We'd like to know if there is good spots to go snorkling, beach diving, and fishing in the area? Hubby want to get on a boat and go on the sea to fish (one of those bigger boats with people paying to go fishing). Also, is there any other activities that we shouldn't miss out? Such as aquariums, special attractions, souvenir stores, etc.

Thanks!

Umm....can't do that. We live in Massachusetts, and we are going to Captiva Island for a wedding...and we're staying at a hotel in Fort Myers. We're going to attend the wedding on Friday April 21st, we're arriving in FL on Thursday, and leaving on the next Tuesday...so we're basically staying only 6 days (counting the arrival and departure days).

What diving is there in the Sanibel area? Advanced diving is ok with me.

What is the reason why we, as beginners, couldn't dive from the beach? I don't want to go deep, as stated, we are beginners, and I for one is certainly not looking into jumping off a boat to go diving too deep....just walking from the beach into the water would be nice...I know nothing about diving yet, but I'm assuming there must be things that you have to be carefull about even if you're not far from the beach, such as strong currents, etc.?

Any help, advices would be appreciated....but we'd really like to at least go snorkling and enjoy some nice scenery under the water...

I don't know much about diving there specifically. But as a general point, many places simply don't have shore diving. Just because there is water or a beach doesn't mean there is anything to see. And a beach may mean the water is very shallow for a long ways out. Or there can be lots of reasons. Some places will be decent for snorkeling but no point in diving.

This is pretty much my standard answer concerning diving around Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel, and Naples. I pasted this from another thread:

The Gulf is advanced diving as the vis, water temp, depths and even the boat trip are challenging. Right now the vis is usually about ten feet and the water temp about 64 degrees. That is a normal day in the Gulf this time of year. Even finding the right charter company takes some experience.

The sites to dive off Sanibel are at least 1 1/2 hours out, and the better sites much further to get to decent vis and any sort of depth. Heck, five miles offshore one is usually only in 18-20 feet of water. There are almost no "dive boats" on the West Coast, but some fishing charters will take out divers- usually spearfishing trips. These trips are expensive due to fuel and time. Most run three tank trips/six packs for around $120-$150 per person if you fill the boat and do not include tanks. You will leave around 7 AM and get in between 3 and 5 PM. Obviously, your charter will need to be set up way in advance. Also note, it is early spring, so the seas can be VERY unpredictable and many trips are blown out. Many people do not like a 2.5 hour boat ride to 120 fsw a total of 45 minutes of bottom time, and another 2.5 hour trip back to the docks.

That is why Walter offered advice about heading to the east Coast or the Keys. There is nothing convenient or close in proximity about diving in the Gulf of Mexico as one can compare it to a desert- flat sand. The days are long, the boat rides often miserable, the water frigid this time of year, the vis is usually poor, it is expensive, and pretty colors are rare. However, the spearfishing is very, very good. And if you want to see giant animals that get you heart racing then the Gulf is worth the hassles. Anytime there is structure in the desert it is loaded with life. It can be an amazing dive, but nine time out of ten what most people are seeking in a Florida dive is not in the Gulf.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions feel free to call Dean's Dive Center in Fort Myers (www.deansdivecenter.com) and we can help.

Sanibel and Captiva, by the way, are beautiful islands. You will have a blast topside.

Ok, this is very good infos, thanks a bunch. :)

So, even for snorkling, it wouldn't be a good place? No corals with cute little fishies to look at? :(

How far of a drive do we have to go from Fort Myers to get to a beach with decent snorkling possibilities? When you talk about the "Keys", you mean down the state of Florida, completly at the end of the state? That's probably about 2 hours drive from Captiva, I think. And if we drive across the state, we can get to Fort Lauderdale/Miami in about the same time too I guess? Good thing we rented a car...we might have to leave very early in the morning to drive to those places...lol

MissTwisties:
Ok, this is very good infos, thanks a bunch. :)

So, even for snorkling, it wouldn't be a good place? No corals with cute little fishies to look at? :(

How far of a drive do we have to go from Fort Myers to get to a beach with decent snorkling possibilities? When you talk about the "Keys", you mean down the state of Florida, completly at the end of the state? That's probably about 2 hours drive from Captiva, I think. And if we drive across the state, we can get to Fort Lauderdale/Miami in about the same time too I guess? Good thing we rented a car...we might have to leave very early in the morning to drive to those places...lol
My wife just got certified last June. We put about 20 dives on my computer just playing off of North Captiva and Cayo Costa. The water depth was only 10-12 ft., there is no reef. It does have sand dollars(live ones-you can't take), starfish, and assorted shells. It is a great place to just get comfortable(swim 20 yds and you can stand). You would have to rent a boat. I do highly suggest Keys for a Florida dive, but this is a great place to just "play" if you have a day to waste. Fishing boats run off of Fort Myers Beach, there are several. And finally...GO RED SOX!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom