Sandwhich dive and Mola Mola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drunkendiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did a boat dive off of Sandwhich town beach on Saturday. Spending some time getting used to the drysuit (love it, don't think I'll be diving wet again any time soon). Came across some 20+ short lobsters and 4 keeper size lobsters but full with eggs. So I got skunked. Big schools of peanut bunker everywhere. After the dive, we took the boat out to Stellwagen for some whale watching. We saw plenty of whales but the ocean sunfish we came across was the prize. We stopped the boat about 15 yards from him and he swam up to the boat and just hung out next to us for about a half an hour. This guy had incredible curiosity.

Pic 2.jpgPic 1.jpg

Question: I am looking at the side of the Mola and notice discoloration (pink). Were these abrasion-type injuries, mottling on the fish etc.? Could he been looking for someone to take off extraneous clingers, or bits of decaying flesh? Used to see Molas off Catalina Island - and they are great fish.

Mr. X,

I think pink areas were jellyfish like parasites about a 0.5 inch long clumped together (could be wrong). I think your right about him looking for someone to give him a cleaning. I'll check my other photos and see if I can get a better picture of it.

Back
Top Bottom