San Salvador Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how's the diving in San Salvador?

I am going to San Salvador Island on an archaeology dig May 19 - June 12. While diving there wont be my priority, my professor is willing to work with me, giving me plenty of free time to dive. I am going to dive with Riding Rock while I am there. I may have a chance to dive with some ecology, biology and botany classes that will be on the island throughout the time I will be there.

Anyway, does anyone have any pictures, advice, or anything else they can tell me about diving there? I am new to diving with only 9 dives, so any advice would be appreciated. I do plan on diving in Ft. Lauderdale the day before I go to the Bahamas, May 18th for a little refresher.

Thanks,

James

We dove San Salvador in December of 2006 and the diving was wonderful.
We saw a few hammerheads, plenty of turtles, reef sharks, tons of barracuda and they were large! also plenty of eagle rays and sting rays.
the reefs are in great shape though the water was a bit cool (70's) being the most southern of the islands.

Well the temps were in the 70's the warmest being about 73 on a shallower dive.
probably the time of year that I went (early December).
I was trying to offer a guidline as to the wetsuit needed to dive.

I had a great time diving. I dove with some of the marine biologists that were doing research and then with Riding Rock. Vis was 100+ ft. Water temp was 82+. The DM were spearing the Lionfish and we had 7 sharks come within 5 feet of us to eat the Lionfish. It was great. Lots of Parrotfish, Crabs, Conch, etc. I even say a Lobster that was at least 2 feet long!

I was there on a HS trip 20 years ago...damn do I feel old. Do you know ifHacksaw Reynolds, ex 49 LB, still lives there? We ran into him in a bar (the bar?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom