San Salvador Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drvngcrzy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to San Salvador Island on an archaeology dig May 19 - June 12. While diving there wont be my priority, my professor is willing to work with me, giving me plenty of free time to dive. I am going to dive with Riding Rock while I am there. I may have a chance to dive with some ecology, biology and botany classes that will be on the island throughout the time I will be there.

Anyway, does anyone have any pictures, advice, or anything else they can tell me about diving there? I am new to diving with only 9 dives, so any advice would be appreciated. I do plan on diving in Ft. Lauderdale the day before I go to the Bahamas, May 18th for a little refresher.

Thanks,

James

I dove off of San Salvador whilst on the Caribbean Explorer I live aboard. There are some very good walls & very healthy reefs (for the Bahamas). Got to see a few Hammerheads cruising off in the distance while diving there (Very Cool!). Unfortunately I haven't loaded any pictures of that trip into my gallery. No sure why I haven't,.... laziness perhaps. If you get a chance, dive the "North Pole Cave". It's a vertical swim through, like a chimney (thus the naming of the site), that opens up at about 100- 140ft. It's a very cool experience. I certainly hope to dive there again soon.

Edit: Oops,.... I just read the part that you said are still a beginner, perhaps that particular dive might be a bit advanced for your comfort level. I'm not sure of your comfort about depths. Most of the walls & reefs there start at about 40- 80 ft deep & as said above drop off into walls that go hundreds, if not thousands of ft. There were no currents there to speak of (I went last year in mid May), except for a little surge when near the shores. Except for some of the depths, the diving was quite easy. You might also visit a site called "Telephone Pole", it has an old telephone pole that was blown over in a hurricane some time ago (never saw it myself), but there is a monument to the landing of Christopher Columbus in the sand (about 30ft deep), that's kind of cool. It's near a reef that last year, was teeming with life. Hope that helps you out some.

I have some video from a trip there of two, eight foot hammerheads circling us for 3 passes within 15 feet away! It was awesome. Did 20 dives there and saw hammerheads on every dive. Some off in the distance but quite a few within 30 feet or closer. Stayed at riding rock inn. Nice place and good food. Great trip. Have fun.

We dove with Riding Rock a couple of years ago. It was great. The dive plans are pretty consistent for each site (you can actually look at them on their web site), so it's easy to navigate. Jean Paul used to be the DM there, and he is very good except that he swims way too fast for most people. We had to keep asking him to slow down!
We saw hammerheads on almost every dive, and lots of stingrays feeding on the sand flats near the boat. The multilevel dive profile typically included a long swimming safety stop--which is to say, the top of the reef was usually around 20 feet, so we swam back to the boat along the top, offgassing and enjoying the view, and could hang around watching the rays feed as long as air and bottom time allowed.

We dove with Riding Rock several years ago and had a great time. The diving was pretty easy so you should be fine. There are lots of wall dives but you can always stay shallower if you are not comfortable. Just talk to the DM's, they should be more than happy to work with you. Maybe you can do the second dives which are shallower.

Most dive sites are a short boat ride away so that should work well with your schedule. The visibility when we were there averaged 100+ so it was great. Water was nice and calm with little current.

You should have a great time. Enjoy the stay.

Thanks for all the information! I was actually down around 100' on my second ocean dive, so depth isnt really a problem for me. I probably shouldnt have been that deep, but Sandals Dive Masters arent always perfect. Oh well.

I dove there in January and the North Pole was one of my favorites. The swim through Tstorm mentioned actually comes out at 120'.. I know because I was diving nitrox and I had a max depth of 110, but it is very impressive. You enter at about 70 feet... straight down and it dumps you out on the wall. Another awesome sight was Devils Claw. Most of the reefs sit at about 60 to 80 feet and if you want to stay on top there is plenty of life there. You will find the reef very healthy and the vis is almost unlimited. I just checked my log book and Devils groto and Blow hole were great dives. Some nice swim throughs. Have a great time. I can't wait to go back.

Bruce

Will I need a wetsuit to dive San Salvador between May 19-June 11? I will only be bringing my diveskin with me.

I was there in May a few years back and only a t-shirt and suit for me. Depends if you get cold in 80 degree water?:D

Cool. I just am too limited on what I can bring with me. Now I just hope I can go without in Ft. Lauderdale before I fly down there or maybe I can find one to rent.

Back
Top Bottom