San Salvador and Riding Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A recent visitor to San Sal (2 weeks ago) told me that RRI was closed. I knew that it had been for sale and had heard that it changed hands. I called there last week and was told that the hotel is open, but it's just a slow time of year. I wanted to book a week at the end of November, but they said the dive operation only goes when they have a group, and that so far they had nobody else for that week.

I've been there before (in the Aug/Sep time frame) and had a great time. They are quite vulnerable to bad weather though, as access to the marina where they keep their boats (and Club Med's) is a bit chancey when the tide is not high.

I had heard a rumour too about them being closed so I emailed to find out. I was told by the OPS mgr that someone was inquiring to purchase but that nothing more happened on that and that they were indeed still open. Aug/Sept anywhere in the Bahamas is slow becuase of hurricane season. Its always a crap shoot then.

I was there last week, in fact I was chased off by a tropical depression that turned into a storm called Rita. Riding Rock is open, with two fancy boats ready to go. I didn't get a chance to dive with them, but I did a shore dive off nearby Bamboo Point. Visibility was over 100 feet (locals complained how "bad" it was), and lots of large snapper and grouper. Saw a sweet 1.5m barracuda at a cleaner station.

I talked a LOT with some locals about Riding Rock. The only major gripe (other than the potential buying out) is to avoid eating at the inn. Compared to everywhere else on San Salvador (minus the Club Med), meals are much more expensive and of lower quality than at the few other eating establishments. There's two pretty nice (and much cheaper) places on the north end of Cockburn Town.

The divemaster at Riding Rock tells me that scalloped hammerheads are the most common shark encountered by divers; roughly 20% chance of seeing one. Whale sharks are super rare. Hawksbill turtles are fairly common.

archman:
I was there last week, in fact I was chased off by a tropical depression that turned into a storm called Rita.

Just came back from San Sal myself. Archman had I known you were there I would have tried to say hello :)

I've only been diving 2 years now but I must say it's the best diving I've done so far! Got blown out one day because of TS Rita. Vis was down to around 100 fsw I guess. Usually much better from what I hear. Can blame Rita. The walls are awesome. Lots of chimnies and swim throughs. Got in some drift diving experience. Saw a hammerhead off in the distance on the first dive. Water temp 82-84 degrees depending on depth. Stayed at RR Inn and dove with them. Excellent DM's and boat captain. Always had max fills. Neutral 80's were nice. Fixed my leaking HP spool o-rings for free. Jean Paul and crew were always going out of their way to make our experience the best it could be. I thought the food was pretty good at RR Inn. May depend on what you're looking for. Never the same thing twice and always had a choice on 2 or 3 entrees. I thought the prime rib was pretty damn good! A very laid back island, no rushing, just what I like. I think the all inclusive package with 18 dives was a real bang for the buck. No more Grand Cayman for me. I'm spoiled now. Hopefully when it get's sold it won't go to crap.

Back
Top Bottom