San Marcos River Cleanup, April 2nd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the Austin paper, the dam has cracks in it. The powers that be are going to build a white water park there, below the dam. I think it said they are repairing the dam, so hopefuly later this summer the water level will be allowed to go back to normal (6-8 ft when I dove it)

The dam is around 100 years old or so and is falling apart with floods in recent years so the powers that be have decided to like another poster said going to make it more kayak friendly and swimmer friendly..last week in the local paper they are planning on tearing out the cement wall and sloping the bank for sunbathers....suppose to put large boulders in the water to create rapids...and all of this is to be done by May 31st HA!!! I haven't been by this week but the last time I drove by there they haven't even started on it..

I was at The Dive Shop last weekend and forgot to ask Don about the river cleanup but I am not surprised it is cancelled....the city of San Marcos and the shop sponser it and with all the construction that is supose to be happening I guess the figured they would cancel this year.

The event is fairly organized...there were about 300 people last year mostly bank walkers and about 30-40 divers....the Swampers Divers were a group of about 15 the Scubadillos usually bring about 30 divers but did not show last year previous commitmens we still had a great time...they serve a bar-b-que lunch and give away dive gear after the cleanup and it is all FREE not fee to sign up

I also went by the dam a week ago and was suprised by the lack of work. I hear about all of these big plans for the river and I hope that they do something nice in the end. I don't enjoy the San Marcos River anymore. The river seems to get shallower every year, and the plants take over more also. The only nice place is on the river is Sewell park.

Back
Top Bottom